Car share with a friend?

Celia_Alan

I was chatting to my mate and he wants to get back into retro car ownership but funds and storage space are holding him back. He knows I'm planning on taking Betty off road for a year to 18 months due to expected lack of time to use her. 

He has suggested (after a couple of beers) we share Betty and the running costs. First thoughts are I trust him as a driver so no worries there, but expect insurance costs will go up as an extra driver, fuel would be a case of top up before parking up, tax and repairs we would split. Anything I'm missing?

Car will be stored at mine as I have a driveway, he lives 25 miles away so I guess he will drive his daily down and swap with Betty use her for a couple days and swap back.

Has anyone done this and how did you find it? 

Sounds like the sort of thing that could break a friendship if it goes pear shaped.

I mean, do you have the same definition of running costs for starters? Seeing as it's your car, could you forgive him if he totals it?

PeDMFE1.gif

But then again, maybe I'm just cynical..

N4gaKWx.gif

Edited by dublet

This ain't some guy I met down the pub he was my best man at my wedding and will be his father to my kid. So I kinda trust him in fact I trust him more than my wife to look after Betty lol.

If he writes it off it's only metal and would be more worried about him than the car.

Running costs tax & insurance split 50/50, fuel top up when you park up. I can't see either of us putting mega miles on her so things like tyres are probably not going to come up, general servicing we would do together and split parts cost.

I know there will be unknown break downs and repairs eg the clutch I just put in, I can't ask for a 50% share as its my car so I will end up paying the lion share of all big bills and I accept that. The way I see it if I ended up with £50 off a £200 bill I would have had to do it anyway so its a few quid in my pocket. 

He works weekends so wants a weekend car during the week when he is off and I'm at work, so I still get a weekend car at the weekend. 

I'm sure there are things I should be thinking about 

As hes such a good friend I wouldnt risk it personally 

One of my best mates fell out with me after doing him a favour on his car even though I was £2500 out of pocket as a result ( and didnt even say anything)

I bought a track car with a good friend, as much as you think everything will be split 50/50 (costs, improvements etc) and you will share the enjoyment the 50/50 is hard to achieve. If it's on your drive you will end up doing more than your mate. If you going into it knowing this it's probably okay but overtime the sharing thing shifts 

After a more sober chat today it looks like this isn't a goer, too much risk to our friendship. It may go down the route of letting him borrow her in exchange for some beer rather than anything else. Well that depends on if I put her back on the road next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.