Pre Winter Checks

Kev 16v

I got hankook winter tyres for wifes aygo. Big mistake since we don't get enough snow to warrant the use. Next time i will use all season tyres that get a high snow rating in reviews for winter use. Makes more sense.

Looking to get winters for the celica but need a set of cheapo rims first. Should i get 16 inch rims for winter use or 17 like i already have? Are tyres cheaper for 16s?

There probably won’t be a huge difference in price of tyres as 17” is more common than 16”

Another thing for the list is to check your drive/fan belt, mine was squeaking a bit on my daily Yaris, just changed it today.....

96C8CEF8-A29B-4C92-B78A-59F366DF8FAE.thumb.jpeg.1dd830e0d5d8ecfad28030eee929a316.jpeg

Caught in time :blink:

The advise on this thread is very good, most winter checks/service nicely covered already.

But just to reiterate a good one from earlier, a good time to check brake pad wear, pull out the calliper slider pins and clean and re-lube with fresh silicone brake grease.

The annual oil/filter change service & MOT is due on my G7 in early November, so half way though October we do a pre MOT check combined with winter preparation. The oily rag gives the suspension parts [and other parts] a wipe over and this followed by a waxy preservative spray, okay not guaranteed to last out the entire winter but far better than doing nuffin'. 

Another often forgotten about but very easy and inexpensive check/replace is the cabin interior air filter,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Borg-Beck-Cabin-Pollen-Interior-Air-Filter-BFC1023/192213009589

a nice clean cabin filter will help keep the windscreen from fogging up  :thumbsup:

ZXDx7Mj.jpg

Well I don't think mine will be finished until well after Christmas so my baby is tucked away in a nice warm, dry garage getting worked on.

Currently getting some sill work done, but will be getting a full overhaul is the plan.

So she's getting the full treatment, same guys who restored my MR2 and Ive told them Im in no rush, the have a few big restorations on at the moment, Ive still got my Fabia so Im grand transport wise. 

This is a really good thread as you folks are pointing out things I wouldn't have thought about, so its good to hear what your plans all are to have your pride and joys ready for winter use. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.