3sge revs up and down when cold

G6-20

anyone know what the usual cause for this is ?
does the idle air control valve need replacing ?

only when engines cold - it'll either rev up and down continuously, or it'll idle real high at 2000rpm for a good long while.

any help appreciated, as its making me look like a fool with a broken car, infront of the neighbours

Edited by G6-20

Yep, take it apart and clean the IACV and throttle body, will probably fix it for the price of two cheap gaskets. 

When did it last have a full service BTW? New plugs, oil and filters make a big difference too, and not too ££ 

28 minutes ago, 99GT said:

Yep, take it apart and clean the IACV and throttle body, will probably fix it for the price of two cheap gaskets. 

When did it last have a full service BTW? New plugs, oil and filters make a big difference too, and not too ££ 

the oil filter and air filter dont look old.
the plugs, dunno, havent touched them.
the fuel filter looks about a year or 2 old, so could do with changing.

where can i buy gaskets from. everything on ebay is from america.

can buy a new valve for £20 by the looks of it, probably easier to just whack another one on

You can still buy the gaskets new from any toyota dealer, pretty cheap. 

If you do a search, or it might even be in the stickies section, there's a guide on stripping and cleaning the IACV. If you get stuck then me or a few of the others can help. 

If you buy a used part then you risk it being as bad. They don't really go wrong as such, just get full of gunk then seize. A clean should be all that's needed.

2 hours ago, 99GT said:

You can still buy the gaskets new from any toyota dealer, pretty cheap. 

If you do a search, or it might even be in the stickies section, there's a guide on stripping and cleaning the IACV. If you get stuck then me or a few of the others can help. 

If you buy a used part then you risk it being as bad. They don't really go wrong as such, just get full of gunk then seize. A clean should be all that's needed.

new ones £20, comes with a gasket.
it wont be genuine tho, so dunno how that will effect the ecu.

how can you clean inside the old one, leave it to soak in carb cleaner or something ? 2 slots in it, look too narrow to get anything in there, for a proper clean

Edited by G6-20

You cant get fully in there to clean but you can enough. The main part to clean is the little adjusting flap thing and that's fully accessible. I'd definitely clean the existing one, but its your call. 

Toothbrush, cotton buds and carb cleaner worked for me

Edited by 99GT

13 hours ago, 99GT said:

You cant get fully in there to clean but you can enough. The main part to clean is the little adjusting flap thing and that's fully accessible. I'd definitely clean the existing one, but its your call. 

Toothbrush, cotton buds and carb cleaner worked for me

cool. ill get some gaskets, and give it a try .... sometime between the 100 other jobs to do :)

1 hour ago, G6-20 said:

cool. ill get some gaskets, and give it a try .... sometime between the 100 other jobs to do :)

8UOwdaHl.jpg

is it similar to the one on the 205.cleaned mine with quick release oil and gunk spray,used old gaskets as they were fine,

23 hours ago, myimportedbeast said:

Hey mate just go gentle in there when you eventually get round to it. It took me 5 hours to try and fit the central locking kit and I've still failed. I may be on the look out for a tvss alarm ecu and a siren then nip next door to Toyota and get them to code it together with my immobiliser 

thatll cost you an arm and a leg, dont do that.

did you buy the same one as me ?
im sure its easy, id tell you how to do it, but i just dont have the time to do anything ' extra ' at the moment, my cars slowly dieing on me, here, there, and everywhere, and im struggling to find time for that ' important ' stuff.

does the reciever send out power down the wire, or does it send out earth, when activated ?

22 hours ago, jim7564 said:

8UOwdaHl.jpg

is it similar to the one on the 205.cleaned mine with quick release oil and gunk spray,used old gaskets as they were fine,

not sure jim...
i think the 205 uses a different throttle body, from what i can tell in epc pics, but the air control valve, might be the same, dunno tho.
3 pipes coming off it, and 4 mounting screws, seems to be what most of them look like.
im guessing 2 of those pipes are coolant ? and the 3rd is vacuum possibly ?

Edited by G6-20

1 hour ago, jim7564 said:

yes your right,the other thing to check is the water sensor at the elbow,if its faulty or a bad connection the car will struggle to idle on cold start up.

coolant temp sensor is that ?
my gauge seems to operate as it should, and fans cut in and out, when in traffic.
impossible to check without live data tho, and i dont think these cars have obd/other plug-ins do they ?

well.. not impossible, could probably back probe it, with a multimeter, but i dont know f-all when it comes to in-depth electronic stuff

Edited by G6-20

its the coolant sensor in the elbow for the ECU not the gauges etc,mine was faulty cleaned the throttle body etc and was still the same.turned out it was the connector for the sensor (green plug) it was Chris that pointed it out to me,perfect now

1 hour ago, jim7564 said:

its the coolant sensor in the elbow for the ECU not the gauges etc,mine was faulty cleaned the throttle body etc and was still the same.turned out it was the connector for the sensor (green plug) it was Chris that pointed it out to me,perfect now

cool, ill check that too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.