Maintenance costs against age/mileage trade offs

Bit of a general discussion one this one I'm just curious to pick other more superior opinions on here!!

What sort of mileage/ and/or age do people find maintenance type costs rise on celicas/Toyotas/generally?

Backdrop: was playing with the idea of also trying to pickup a cheap preface mk3 mr2 post summer to play with too but interested in people's opinions generally I've had v high milers some with motorway in the past trouble and corrosion free till scrapped and some lower milers but not quite perfect, my own gen 7 s gone 120-140k with me with not a huge history and I've just had the usual common things rectified (tho thinking a clutch change can't be far away)

What sort of things do people particularly look for on high milers/older cars?

PS.apols not posted for a while been busy but still reading.

I always look for the usuals in higher miles.

Rust, brakes & suspension (usually fooked), belts/chain and oil history

I accept that other things will be well on their way to knackered such as clutch and exhaust even if they seem ok on the test drive

I dont think I've ever bought a car which didnt have totally scrap brakes

I've had my Gen 7 for 4.5 years since 111k miles and its now at 154k 14 years old... the maintenance costs have been minimal, rarely anything has needed fixed and everything that has would apply to any car as wear and tear

Most of the maintenance costs have came from things I modified or messed around with too. The biggest expense for me has probably been the brakes which I recently done all round with a good brand to be safe

Also my shock absorbers have went and this caused my lowering springs to snap (combined with the terrible roads)

I have a slight oil leak and I think it's because the sump threads have been stripped so it doesn't tighten as well as it used to but even so it hardly costs me anything in oil

At one point I bought a Gen 7 140 for £180 to sell on and this was almost beyond saving however :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.