Used a Gunson Power (Brake) Bleeder?

Is anyone a big fan of the Gunson’s Power (Brake) Bleed kit?

These things have been around for decades, and I’ve owned one for a very long time, but I don’t have a clear memory of ever having used it on any car. If it works OK for you, it should make bleeding the brakes very easy, but if it leaks, brake fluid could spray everywhere.

Today I tried fitting it on to the master cylinder on my Gen7; there is just space to fit it. But as the reservoir has a push-on rather than screw-on top, the Gunson needs to be held pressure-tight over the top with the nylon straps provided and this is where it is less good on the 7. The underside of the reservoir is shaped so that is tapered towards the front, so when the straps tighten they don’t pull evenly and directly down on the Gunson cap, but forward and slightly off centre. So, it might seal or it might leak :shrug:.

The straps supplied seem awkward and oversized to me; I’m going so it I can find something similar but a bit more flexible before I consider using it. (My current bleeding task is OK’ish, after Bleed Round#2).

I have had one for ages, never used it because of the reservoir cap. 

Think a good idea would be to buy another cap, drill a hole in it and seal it, might try soon as they're due a bleed

24 minutes ago, Cleario said:

I have one I used to use when I worked for volvo, now I’m in hyundai it’s useless because the capsthe same as the Toyota. I use a vacuum bleeder instead now

Vacuum bleeding is popular and I've done it but I wonder about the extent to which you may suck bubbles of air in down past the threads on the bleed nipple. I always cover those threads with lots of PTFE tape, but that seals most effectively on tapered threads rather than parallel.

Another option (for one-person bleeding) is to buy one of those little non-return valves (~£1) they use in fish tanks and connect that on the nipple, then just pump on the pedal.

30 minutes ago, bazz54 said:

Vacuum bleeding is popular and I've done it but I wonder about the extent to which you may suck bubbles of air in down past the threads on the bleed nipple. I always cover those threads with lots of PTFE tape, but that seals most effectively on tapered threads rather than parallel.

Another option (for one-person bleeding) is to buy one of those little non-return valves (~£1) they use in fish tanks and connect that on the nipple, then just pump on the pedal.

when I have to bleed on my own, I use a bleed tube with a one way valve on it.  I also put a thick blob of really sticky grease around the bleed nipple (once loosened) and really work it in to seal it from air being sucked past the threads.  I only wipe it off when ive tightened the nipple back down.

• Like 1

Yes, that would work for vacuum bleeding; good idea.

Did a second all-round bleed on mine last night then took it to a car park and and tested out the ABS, which worked very well (on a very good and dry surface), and it was stopping very nicely with no juddering or pulling. Is it still a bit spongy...hard to say (it is a 14 year old Gen7), but aiming to get the MoT done this coming week.

To be honest either I’ve lucked out every time I’ve had something brake related off the car and had to rebleed them I’ve never had a problem, or it’s because I do it all day everyday I know what to expect I’ve never had a problem with my brakes using the vacuum bleeder.

I’ve never had a problem with my brakes, I’ve never understood why people say that the brakes are crap of the 7, mine preform great on the road, it’s had enough abuse B road bashing.

I've always been pretty much satisfied with the brakes on my 140; never thought about making any changes or fitting a stopper. It's only because I had my little 'accident' and let the reservoir drain out (never done that before!) that I'm a bit spooked about it now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.