Sound/Acoustic deadening (headache)

Hello Celica guys and gals.

I've recently been looking into sound and acoustic deadening and isolation. I'm not looking into massive ice installs, I'm purely wanting a quiter, more pleasurable cruise. 

I've searched the site, I've looked on the Dynamat site and I've also read sites on audio but I'm at a loss. I have no clue what sort of deadening to invest in. I've seen small bubble wrap style insulation, I've seen 35mm closed cell foam and most inbetween. My head hurts and I'm losing the will to continue.

Will someone with more knowledge than me please help.  I have no idea what I'm doing anymore.

I was hoping for some info on this too. My 190 has no felt inside the bonnet, I think a previous 140 I owned did have. Perhaps when the tyres need replacing I will try quieter ones.

I usually like to sleep while im driving on the motorway, so a quiet ride is essential ... ;)

I have spent a good deal of time and money trying to reduce road noise in my G7. I cannot recall for sure how much sound deadening material has gone in, but I think it's about 30kg. Most of that was in the form of a professionally supplied kit pre-cut for the G7, which I think cost close on £200. I was never sure that any of that achieved very much.

I then looked around at low-noise tyres and put on a set of Dunlop Bluresponse. They did significantly reduce road noise, but not to a level I am happy with.

All that said, I also own an old Rover 600 saloon. I am sure now that that car seems to make more noise than it use to, or put another way, the present condition of the roads leads to that perception.

What really strikes me is that, in either car, if I travel over a stretch of motorway that has recently been re-surfaced, the road noise becomes negligible until the moment you get back on to typical motorway and then it's back big time.

https://www.anyfoam.co.uk/sheet-foam.php

I used these for my clio which had 2400w twin sub in the back and it worked rather well. the problem that i see with the celica is that they use very cheap plastic and they rattle any way so no matter how much sound deadening you get there will always be one panel that allows sound to vibrate or pass through unless your panning on ripping up all the interior, centre, the dash, the boot etc

Materials tend to differ in function and how they can decrease noise, the sticky-backed dense stuff is good where metal panels are prone to vibrate, such as doors than 'clang' on shutting, although i don't think Celica's particularly suffer from door shut clang. But used sparingly here and there to add weight to 'wobbly' panels can improve things. Car manufactures do tend to use some kind of product sparingly stuck on some outer panels to do this.

Three years ago i used a product called 'rattlematt' [ IIRC ] inside the boot floor and rear wheel arch area, but the after-fitting effect on sound deadening was very slight, IMO not worth the effort of sticking it in places that are already fairly 'rigid' in build.

What i did achieve is adding around 5 kilo of permanent weight to the boot area! :lol:

nCfG9RA.jpg

At least the 'rattlematt' looks neat and is so slim not to cause any problems re-fitting the interior panels.

I'm not speaking from any experience here, but i strongly suspect a far better sound deadening material would be a dense felt type material and the thicker the better as long as it don't cause problems refitting the panels after. Rubber sheeting would probably work as a good road noise suppressant too, but would be tricky to fit, and very heavy.  I suspect there are fantastic products out there that if fitted though-out the inside shell of the vehicle would work very effectively, but i bet they're very expensive, and would be a faff to fit. Probably best to seek professional advise, or give up and buy a pair of ear-muffs.

I've just purchased a roll of this:

s-l500.jpg

It's only 2 meters by half a meter but easily enough to acoustically damp out the rear speaker enclosures before replacing the rear speakers with Alpine replacements.

The job of sound absorption is different again here, simply to acoustically damp the audio speaker 'cabinet'.  

Many years ago i did this on a previous vehicle with excellent results - better audio sound quality :thumbsup:

Debs

Edited by Crazy Cat Lady
remove eBay product link - they sent me the wrong product! : /

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.