Wheel refurb

u403666

Has anyone had Celica T Sport Wheels refurb'ed  I have got rid of a load on kerb rash and stripped chipped paint so ready to finish.  I put them on a dial indicator to check for roundness. The worst has 8mm flats on the trailing edge of the rim, front of the wheels are round.  No idea if the hold air bought them on ebay for £30 for 4 bargain.  Does anyone know a guy or gal that can re round the rims?

There's not really much point having them straightened. They're very soft alloys, and buckle quite easily. You'd likely be paying to have them fixed, only for them to bend again, especially with how bad the roads are nowadays. Both of my rear wheels were flatspotted and wouldn't hold air for very long, so I bought some different, stronger alloys instead. 

If you are confident you can "improve" them yourself.. Using a hot air gun or burning torch heat the section of the wheel that is flat... Get it hot but not molten obviously ;).  Then using a soft faced hammer.. Or a normal hammer and a piece of wood, panel beat them back to shape. 

You won't get it perfect and you do run the risk of cracking the wheel if you go too far.. It's certainly not a job for the feint hearted.. 

I have done this loads of times together with welding up cracked wheels, but my previous job was welder fabricator 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.