Air-Lock(s) is Coolant System

Hi again,

I have been having issues with air in the coolant system of my ST182, and the engine getting hot in places (while at idle, start driving again and it quickly comes back down) and more recently after bleeding the system it was fine for a ~300mile round trip on motorway/country roads, then after a few days back to the same problem.

Part of the problem was the Radiator Cap was siezed shut, so any pressure could not be released, and on one trip a month back, after some time on the motorway, stopped at some services and the car did a wee from the bottom radiator hose. Filled it back up, bled the system and seemed to be OK apart from sometimes getting air locks and getting hot, quickly coming back down again after though. This was replaced last week.

This week I have drained the coolant system, flushed it, refilled with some Wynns Radiator Flush heat up for 15-20min then flush again and refill with coolant. Been running for 20-min now and fine, no issues on getting hot at all.

While waiting around, had a look at the damp patch that I thought was caused by the thread below, and it seems to be coolant under the passenger footwell, not oil as I first thought. The passenger carpet was damp, but underneath the wadding is sodden and there is a small pool of 'rusty' looking liquid on the bare metal footwell. No issues with rust anywhere, and no drips/smears down the side at any places.

I suspect this may be my cause of the air in the system, if coolant is in the cabin, not where its supposed to be!

Really at a loss now, took out the glovebox/speaker and there are no leaks anywhere other than a tiny bit of moisture at the location in the photo above (although now is clear liquid rather than oily.

The hole above, is located right next to the heater matrix temperature control lever, you can see the lever just to the left. So I assume its heater related, which might fit in with the coolant issue, rather than being part of the air-con system next to it.

Any thoughts?

Edited by hoopsontoast

No expert but when i first got my gen 5 it the needle would climb when i was stopped at junctions etc and then go back towards normal as soon as got driving, this was the thermostat sticking and a new one solved that

Heater matrix know nothing about but there's something up there and it may well be contributing

Sounds like it could do with a good look over :(

The liquid around the tooth in your photo does seem to have a redish tint to it which would indicate that it is coolant (Toyota Forlife / Long Life Coolant is red in colour) but removing the matrix isn't a job I would like doing myself. If you can find a way to bypass the matrix using a piece of rubber tube, that might be the best short term option to stop any more leaks inside the car.

Edited by Xanadu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.