No MoT for 40 Year Old Cars

DJDannyDee

I'm sure by now all you 'classics' guys know about the car tax exemption for 40+ year old cars, well according to this article it now may apply for the UK MoT as well. 

Have a read and share your thoughts.... 

http://www.musclecarszone.com/500000-older-cars-in-uk-wont-need-mot-test-next-year/

The argument is usually that they are owned by enthusiasts who keep up with maintenance but in my experience - this can often mean bodged jobs

A few years back we had a mk1 mini come in for an mot- the bodywork and interior had been restored but underneath it was completely rotten so much so the tester ticked the dangerous to be on the road box on the bottom of the failure sheet

Great.,..only 26 years to go before I can forget about an MOT..:D

...but seriously, I can't see that being right if the car has to spend any time on public roads.

Surely a "responsible" owner would want to know that the vehicle passes an independent assessment of it's safety.?

This is the DVLA on the current rules

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

I know that my Triumph Trophy TR5 didn't have to have an MOT because, although re-registered in 1970, it was originally built in 1956 and I could demonstrate this from the factory dispatch records for the frame number.  I did actually ask the DVLA to confirm that it didn't need one and they did.

But it appears from the press (never the most reliable source) that vehicles FIRST REGISTERED will be exempt not firtst built

This seems to be the case, Reported in few webs site, and news groups.  announced from May 2018, that cars over 40 Years old will be exempt from MOT (only 15 More to go for my car .... yeah....)

the voluntary thing, might mean Insurance companies may still require it. I say that from LPG conversions, although not a legal requirement, many insurance companies wont cover a car that has an LPG conversation, unless it is tested and registered on the UK LPG register..

I could appreciate tax free but not MOT free. As others have said it's not too hard too pass. Think as well, if someone buys an old car that doesn't need an MOT it's not just them, they won't necessarily know what bodges the previous owner mightve done.

It's a bit scary to think there some old codger or person on a budget that's running round in a car that's not been checked over for basic safety for maybe 10 years 

10 hours ago, Old Red Celica said:

I think the onus is still on the owner, to proove the car is roadworthy.

Quite true.

There's still a myriad of offences that you can be prosecuted for even if your vehicle has passed the MOT.

I used to get my local MOT tester to give the bike a look over, just to see if there was something I missed.  One time he spotted that I'd used a full nut instead of the proper half nut on the rear brake and thought that the nut was half undone.  Good spot

Personally i think all cars should have an mot check. Most people on hear would agree even if your cars are up together they would still mot it. Take new cars from the factory they don't get an mot for the first 3 years. How many people know of the new cars taking their first mot after 3 years that have failed and that's only 3 years from new.

It's a stupid idea. OK enthusiasts do tend to look after their cars bikes ect better than Joe blogs. Some are no mechanic and have work done for them and wouldn't necessarily realise or notice something was wrong.

• Like 3

I hope any upcoming development of legalised MOT evasion won't be the cause of more RTAs, crashes, injuries, and deaths.

With the prospect of up to half a million smoky old vehicles on the road with no MOT we can certainly expect more pollution - which strangely contradicts the modern [albeit farcical] trend of imposed alignment between VED and how environmentally friendly said newer vehicle is supposed to be.

VED has become a very easy money grab for HM Gov, and a very useful stick for the powerful new-car sales lobby to beat us with so we may conform to their business model having us continually scraping our cars when only a decade old [or less] and rushing out to buy a brand new one.

There is plenty of TAX already on fuel, which in a way is fairer in that the more one drives the more one pays but i'd like to see a blanket lowering of VED charge to at least a quarter of what it presently charged for any given vehicle, and instead have far more cost enthuses placed upon MOTs even if this involves more expense at the garage with more routine servicing checks and generally far a more extensive and thorough check-over. This would help lower pollution, promote safety, and provide useful business for local garages 

Debs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.