One tyre wearing more than the othe?

hey all, was checking pressures in my tyres today and noticed the front passenger tyre has worn down a lot more than the drivers side front. the wear on both tyres is even across the tyre.

alignment was checked last month and needed no adjustments. pressures were even too

what could cause just one tyre to wear more than the other?

General Gen 7 drivers syndrome

Passengers front tyre takes all of the load/wear on islands and normal bends

Front passenger/nearside will wear twice as fast as any other tyre

Recommend Uniroyal Rainsport 3

Incredible adhesion in any weather

(Wildly wet/mildly moist/disappointingly dry)

Not the hardest wearing of tyres - But they really perform where it matters most:-

In the wet/moist

(Normal UK weather)

Edited by Felfy

unfortunately its a pretty open question with lots of answers.

When you say you had an alignment, was it a full geometry or just tracking?  Tracking on it own wont really show up any other geometry problems that can cause excessive tyre wear.

As could a number of mechanical faults on that side.   Any indication of balljoint, track rod or wishbone bush wear on that corner?  Looking for anything that would allow that wheel to snake a bit while driving

Edited by G.Lewarne

11 hours ago, G.Lewarne said:

unfortunately its a pretty open question with lots of answers.

When you say you had an alignment, was it a full geometry or just tracking?  Tracking on it own wont really show up any other geometry problems that can cause excessive tyre wear.

As could a number of mechanical faults on that side.   Any indication of balljoint, track rod or wishbone bush wear on that corner?  Looking for anything that would allow that wheel to snake a bit while driving

Was full geometry check on hunter machine. I needed adjustments last year but this year it didnt need anything.

Also MOT passed 2 weeks ago no issues.

Surprised tester didnt say anything about the wear. Guess since they are still both above legal limit they wont mention it.

Going around roundabouts shouldnt make a difference unless its like nascar?

I used the depth gauge and its a 2.3mm increase in wear on the front passenger tyre. And its even across the tyre. Very odd. However these are the first tyres iv put on the car since i bought it 4 years ago.

21 minutes ago, slybunda said:

Was full geometry check on hunter machine. I needed adjustments last year but this year it didnt need anything.

Also MOT passed 2 weeks ago no issues.

Surprised tester didnt say anything about the wear. Guess since they are still both above legal limit they wont mention it.

Going around roundabouts shouldnt make a difference unless its like nascar?

I used the depth gauge and its a 2.3mm increase in wear on the front passenger tyre. And its even across the tyre. Very odd. However these are the first tyres iv put on the car since i bought it 4 years ago.

suppose that tyre could be from a different batch with a slightly different compound than the others which was more susceptible to wear.  otherwise, not really sure.

You haven't mentioned it so I presume the pressures have stayed even? If there is a small valve leak or something meaning that it has been at a lower pressure that may account for it. Otherwise if it has been through a Hunter alignment is it most likely a worn steering / suspension component or a duff tyre as GL says.

tyres are Uniroyal rainsport 2.

pressures were down 2 psi on the side that wore down more.

iv jacked it up and done the usual checks for binding caliper and wheelbearing play but no issues there.

iv had cars before with worn bushes etc and every time they have caused an uneven wear pattern on the tyre so are easily traced.  this tyres wear is perfectly even. its like the tyre has clocked on 2000 miles more somehow. lol

also iv noticed my calipers are getting rusty and the rubber boots are starting to swell up. was looking at a refurb kit but noticed a company called brakes international selling budweg branded calipers, anyone heard of budweg? are they any good in quality? main thing that I like is they don't need your old calipers back so your not pressured to get the job done and return the old stuff back in time.

10 minutes ago, Old Red Celica said:

Going around roundabouts does make a lot of difference, I'm sure those from MK would confirm.

come to think of it I do a lot more right side turns than left turns, and I do give it some on roundabouts but that's the nature of the car, since its handling is so good ya feel safe and sound. all other cars i drive fell like land rovers going around bends which makes me feel like im gonna roll over. lol

I've just had the rear calipers on the Corolla refurbished by Bigg Red, for 2 it cost just a tad more than buying one from a Motor Factors, in the finish of my choice.

Buy 2 used seized ones, and send them off. Get refurbished and swap over, no off road time then.

When going around a corner the outer tyre covers a greater distance than the inner. 2000 miles over 4 years doesn't sound overly weird, depending on your total mileage.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Ive used Budweg calipers from brakeparts.co.uk and brakes international on numerous cars, and have two of theirs on the rear of my Gen7.  Would heartily recommend them without hesitation.  Pretty good value too.

And just a random throught - and I have seen this - is that tyre fitted the correct way around?  ive seen quite a few over the years coming out of tyre places with the inside on the outside

Edited by G.Lewarne

Something that hasn't been mentioned have you checked the speed ratings are the same on the tyres and you didn't have an odd one that was complete opposite end of the spectrum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something that hasn't been mentioned have you checked the speed ratings are the same on the tyres and you didn't have an odd one that was complete opposite end of the spectrum?

7 hours ago, Cleario said:

I always chew the nsf tyre in a year, I have 6 roundabouts on a quite dual carriageway each way to and from work. 

holy crap!!!!

3 hours ago, Tomb said:

speed rating is same, both are 215/45/r17 both XL and I think W or Y rated. I think the tyres have done 10k miles now in the 4 years iv had them.

if that's considered to be normal for the gen 7 then guess I will just carry on.

worn shock absorber will cause a tyre to wear out quicker

But if its not that then the passenger side wheel is the one that gets traction, whilst the drivers one does nothing when you are in a slip condition. IE if you are spinning the wheels - the passenger one will spin and have power whilst the drivers one wont because of the Diff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.