Best rust treatment?

Anyone have recommendations for a good brush on rust treatment? 

I'm just cleaning up the rear underarches and there are a few spots I'd like to treat before putting waxoyl on it. Nothing thatl need grinding, just a quick wire brush and treat.

I know waxoyl states it'll kill existing rust but id rather do it seperate first to be sure. 

Not after mega expensive marine type stuff, just readily available decent value brush on stuff

Cheers

Paul

I rather like the "Rust Converter" you can get from Toolstation, made by flag.  Big tin for a fiver.  Its almost like paint and dries to a matt black finish that seems pretty tough.  Used quite a bit on mine in fiddly places and seems to last.  The rear brake pipe loops are still matt black and non spotty after 6 months and they basically get shot blasted by crap coming off the wheels.

1 hour ago, dublet said:

Hammerite's Kurust is along similar lines.

Nope

The toolstation stuff is like someone mixed paint with kurust.  Its literally a matt black rust converting paint all-in-one and its pretty good too.

Thanks all. I've used Hammerite and Jenolite on small parts but wanted to try something different on the bigger sheetmetal bits. 

Think I'll try some Deox C, seems to have good writeups and not cheap but it'll make up loads I guess 

• 2 weeks later...

ok so i will use rust converter, then primer epoxy mastik and then the underseal.

also do i have to use epoxy mastic? i already have a tin of zinc phosphate primer would that not work?

also is seam sealer any good?

also would like to provide this link here:

http://www.auson.se/sites/default/files/rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk.pdf

some people might find it interesting, its a review of different rust protection stuff.

19 hours ago, slybunda said:

hey all i got some of this stuff on order: 0026245_hammerite-waxoyl-underbody-seal-

do i just slap it on to the car directly or should i use a primer first? or paint first?

With that stuff, prep is key

You need to remove all possible traces of crap, flakey stuff, rust etc.  Then treat with a rust treatment, then something like the red oxide primer, than the underseal if you really want to.  Make sure you do it on a very dry day after the car has been warm and dry for at least a couple days.  

I prefer not to use underseal products, I never found they work very well, and just "slapped on" can lead to nasty hidden rot that you, or the MOT man, might not see.

I prefer the treat, primer and paint methodology myself rather than underseal

• Like 1

On 27/05/2017 at 10:31, G.Lewarne said:

I prefer not to use underseal products, I never found they work very well, and just "slapped on" can lead to nasty hidden rot that you, or the MOT man, might not see.

I prefer the treat, primer and paint methodology myself rather than underseal

Absolutely agree; underseal is black goo, good for hiding stuff - even from yourself!

Need to do best job you can to get all old rust off, then use a zinc phosphate primer and then a top coat. It's also a good idea to get both primer and top coats from the same company; different makes don't always go well together.

I use a phosphoric acid treatment (usually Jenolite) on anything that has got more than surface rust.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.