hot start issues 2zzge apexi

this is my first post on here hoping to get some good answers i have a 2004 tsport on 90k miles  i recently bought an apexi pfc and with the base tune from mwr is had problems starting it will start cold perfectly fine but when its been running for a while it just cranks and cranks for ages and if im lucky it starts only other way to start it is the bump start it in second gear and i dont like doing that. i do carry the original ecu around as a backup  and had to swap it out many times to get it running again it does start fine everytime on the stock ecu sometimes takes a few seconds more than normal but not sure if thats allways been the case or im just now noticing it. i just put it down to a bad tune on the apexi and thought it was overfeuling or something and booked it in to get a tune now its fully mapped and the tuning company had problems with starting it also and they said it has nothing to do with the map even the base map had no problems so after a little bit of investigating i came to the point were im thinking  crankshaft position sensor im geussing this is highly rare for a sensor like this to go out but all the things that the car is doing ive read up that this most likely is the problem has anyone else had a problem like this and can shed some light or any advice??? please any help is appreciated 

37 minutes ago, Vrlear said:

this is my first post on here hoping to get some good answers i have a 2004 tsport on 90k miles  i recently bought an apexi pfc and with the base tune from mwr is had problems starting it will start cold perfectly fine but when its been running for a while it just cranks and cranks for ages and if im lucky it starts only other way to start it is the bump start it in second gear and i dont like doing that. i do carry the original ecu around as a backup  and had to swap it out many times to get it running again it does start fine everytime on the stock ecu sometimes takes a few seconds more than normal but not sure if thats allways been the case or im just now noticing it. i just put it down to a bad tune on the apexi and thought it was overfeuling or something and booked it in to get a tune now its fully mapped and the tuning company had problems with starting it also and they said it has nothing to do with the map even the base map had no problems so after a little bit of investigating i came to the point were im thinking  crankshaft position sensor im geussing this is highly rare for a sensor like this to go out but all the things that the car is doing ive read up that this most likely is the problem has anyone else had a problem like this and can shed some light or any advice??? please any help is appreciated 

best thing to do is to refit the original ecu and use the car for a day or  so and then have it read for fault codes .

Any faulty sensors should show up  in the memory

What made you buy the Apexi ? planning on big mods ?

Edited by Bumblebee

8 minutes ago, Bumblebee said:

best thing to do is to refit the original ecu and use the car for a day or  so and then have it read for fault codes .

Any faulty sensors should show up  in the memory

What made you buy the Apexi ? planning on big mods ?

ive driven about on the original ecu for a while and no codes show up other than the ones that usualy show from the decat this is why it confuses me that the stock ecy works fine and the apexi has trouble.. 

i have a second engine in the garage that i plan on taking the sensor from that and putting in on and see if it makes any difference im at my wits end  the money ive spent for it to have trouble starting is fairly frustrating.

i realy would rather not have to send the apexi back if thats the cause of the problem because import tax is ridiculous.

yeh i have some plans for cams and some head work valves retainers the usual stuff to make it better in higher rpm and then eventually looking to supercharge it just taking it step by step at the moment 

i do have an underdrive alternator pulley from mwr waiting to get waterpump one and belt then ill remove a/c aswell hopefully squeese a few more hp out lol 

id have thought if it had been a sensor issue it would have shown in memory and you would have same problem with both ecu.

e mail mwr and explain the issue, they are pretty good at responding from my experience with them

only time ive seen this was a faulty temperature sensor but that was with the stock ECU, with it working ok with the standard ECU, id go for the apexi first im afraid.Or try the apexi in someone elses car to be 100%

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

update i had the crank sensor changed with one from my spare engine i had and it works perfectly not no trouble starting and even starts smoother and seems like it idles better too ...happy days

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.