Nothing but trouble

mort

My turn, I guess, since I am Honda lover and not really a great fan of the Celica (but not really a Hater) Here are my thoughts on your complaints but comparing them with the Honda I previously owned, loved and didn't f***ing look after :cry:

On 20/11/2016 at 19:26, mort said:

Long list mate - compare to my old accord - As had been said before, A family Saloon vs a Coupe, it's not really fair to compare, you've also not mention what "flavour" of Accord. My last Honda was 5th Gen Prelude Type S so my comparisons are little more even.

1. Noisy inside - Mine too, mostly parcel shelf and a cheap aftermarket exhaust, before that, just the parcel shelf. My Prelude was never particularly quiet, although it was nearly a decade older but, Oh, that exhaust note... <3

2. Not as comfy - Not much in it for me, The GT is stiffer than my Prelude but also handles better. I can live with that, I bought a cheap sports coupe. However you had an Accord, Even in Type R spec the Accord is still a family Saloon and is going to offer more comfort.

3. Build quality - materials crap - Agree with this, even compared to Honda. But I bought a cheap sports coupe so I'm not crying too much over that, well, a little at times.

4. Engine  - Vtec rules - no issues at all - Technically it's VVTLI as VTEC is Honda's trade mark however I really miss the VTEC scream of the H22A in my Type S but, after fitting (and finally leaving it there) the Japspeed exhaust I seem to have better performance or at least equal to what it was before the Blitz went on (Yay! Won't be selling the Blitz as it's clearly f***ed imo) but I would still take the H22a over the 2ZZ any day, just for sound alone :P

5.Lots issues - Yeah, I have those too. Bucket loads. I did start seeing a therap... Oh wait, we're still talking about the cars... :blush:

a] not working passenger window switch - Everyone else answered this. Things fail with use, I wouldn't be ragging on a Car or Manufacturer about a faulty switch

b]  tailgate struts - Does seem to be a weak point from what I've seen on hear. Not really had any issues there yet, myself.

c] alternator belt -  Things wear, even on Hondas!

d] Clutch - lots issues !!! - See above. Pretty certain they don't come that way from the factory.

e] Poor driver position - can't find comfy - Not had this issue in either the Celica or the Prelude, both very similar but then I didn't come from a Family Saloon to a Sports Coupe.

f] Heating on driver side not working properly - A fault with the car sure but not a design fault.

g] cd changer location in boot - Not on mine. The Sony Head unit that came with mine (Factory option) plays music from USB or my phone via B/T even DVD's... And the reversing camera! I love my reversing camera. Shame there's no built in Satnav but still way better than my Type S came with. However the Prelude S Spec (Arguably the model below the Type S) did come with a built in Satnav, although you needed to get around Japan and could understand Japanese... Erm.. I had a point to make, I think? Oh yeah, Reversing camera FTW!

h] can't be ask to list it all - means many more. - Brakes? You missed the Spongy Brakes! There'd be no arguements there but I also recall people fitting Honda Legend brakes to Preludes and Accords so the whole Avensis brake swapping thing isn't anything new or unique to the Celica.

The things that I find most annoying about the car are generally petty but the sad fact was, the car just doesn't make me smile like my Prelude used to and I was looking at getting rid of it (Then I realised I didn't like anything else in my budget and importing another Prelude Type S or S Spec would cost around £13k) but it seems that you've bought entirely the wrong sort of car.

Have you looked to see what similar money can buy you in the 2 door coupe market? Because I couldn't find much when I was looking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.