Nothing but trouble

mort

I wish I’d never bought this  car - nothing but trouble - compare to my old  honda accord  is crap in every department -  apart is a bit quicker when that shit uplift working. Really disappointed - that car reliability index must be fake paid by biggest car makers - toyota never again !!! back to honda as soon a possible.

Long list mate - compare to my old accord

1. Noisy inside

2. Not as comfy

3. Build quality - materials crap

4. Engine  - Vtec rules - no issues at all

5.Lots issues 

a] not working passenger window switch

b]  tailgate struts

c] alternator belt

d] Clutch - lots issues !!!

e] Poor driver position - can't find comfy

f] Heating on driver side not working properly

g] cd changer location in boot

h] can't be ask to list it all - means many more

Edited by mort
a

Plenty of doggy ones out there,when they get to a certain age and whether they've had a good life or not.To balance it up,i guy we know bought a Civic that seemed a really good buy,they have a good reputation etc but he got rid after 8 months of it being a pain,he also commented on how he couldnt ever seem to find a driving position that suited him either,so horses for courses i suppose.Shame but there you go.

• Like 1

The gen 7 is a very differently engineered car to the earlier ones. Much more like working on my clio or pug.

Look at VW reputation, especially the VW 1.9TDi engine. In less than a year £2K in garage bills (didn't have time to do it myself) and it still overheats at speeds over 60, or uphill, or towing. A lemon is a lemon, and all makes have them, usually due to previous owner abuse.

• Like 2

yep you get your good ones and bad ones ....now ive owned my 53 reg tsport for 4 years and in that time ive had a radiator replaced and a stabilser bar replaced ...now that is a fairly reliable car so far ...i have a few bits on this years advisories but as im replacing the suspension things will be done while thats done and yep there are some areas on the gen 7 that annoys you but i couldnt of picked up a better japanese car for my first jap car :)

Edited by celica1977

only one thing to do in this situation its time to get rid but next time research the car your buying have a lengthy test drive to find a comfy position , like mentioned earlier lemons are lemons, I've owned 6 Toyota's and had trouble with none of them shame you got a bad one

Edited by totts
add to it

ok lets see if we can help

1.  Noisy inside Check your inners edge of your rear tyres - these can be worn unevenly and make it very noisy - you need to get your head under there to see it - you wont see it from the side - post a pic if you are not sure

2. Not as comfy Unfortunately comparing a saloon to a coupe - is it lowered though - changing back to normal springs might help

3. Build quality - materials crap Cant help here but its built to be light weight

4. Engine  - Vtec rules - no issues at all what engine issues are you having?

5.Lots issues 

a] not working passenger window switch There is an isolator switch to the right of the igintion on the dash - 99% of the time this is the cause

b]  tailgate struts - New ones from kent gas springs are £34 - this is wear and tear im afraid

c] alternator belt Again wear and tear - they dont last forever not even on hondas

d] Clutch - lots issues !!! - What issues?

e] Poor driver position - can't find comfy Have you tried lowering/raising  the base using the dial?

f] Heating on driver side not working properly -Needs bleeding properly

g] cd changer location in boot - You can move it but most cars from factory have it here

h] can't be ask to list it all - means many more - We can try and help

• Like 4

People swear by the mk3 mondeo, I had one, it was 3 years old and within 4 months had developed over £1500 worth of serious issues including cutting out with my then wife and 3 kids all under 4 in the middle of nowhere in December in -1 degree weather.

All cars have the potential to be troublesome especially 10 year old cars minimum depending on how well the previous owner had treat it.

I have had a Honda, I would happily own another, my friend however had an EP3 Type R, you know the one that is bullteproof, or so people were telling him when his entire bottom end was all over the M1 and couldnt understand it.

I have had 5 celicas and had no trouble with them. Tell a lie my 165 has been a lot of work but that goes with them and i knew most of the work that had to be done. My gen 7 190 has had no issues at all in the 2 years i have owned it. and i find much more relaxing to drive than the other celicas. My son had a accord and had nothing but trouble with it.

So i guess it's the same has any car you get bad ones from all makes.

at the end of the day at 10- 16 years old - if its not been looked after then it could be a shed - and a lot of what you mentioned comes down to maintenance

had mine for 12 years and put 244,000 miles on top of the 20,000 it had and its never let me down - I actually think if it did then Id be able to buy a new car  but its hard to let go of something that is so reliable

hopefully we can help but at least some of the niggles right easily

also the comments about buying an earlier gen celica are usually from people who have never owned a 7

• Like 4

This is a shame to read.  I guess it depends on how well looked after it was before you took ownership..

Being a Honda fanboiiiii my whole life it was a shock to find myself a T Sport but I think the build quality is superior to that of an EP3 of similar age.

I hope you can see past the niggles and turn around what sounds like a bit of a dog into something nice :)  Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.