MOT and seat belts

Jev

Agreed, was only having this conversation with a neighbour the other day as he wants to remove rear seats and belts from his car to transport his dogs around.

As I understand it if its there but faulty or not in working order then it will fail. But if not there AT ALL then it cant be failed.

Now in the case of rear seat belts I think if you still have a rear seat then it can justifiably be argued that you have the capacity to carry passengers in the rear still so need belts. But if rear seat is completely removed as well I cant see it being a problem.

In my neighbours case he knows that the dogs will chew the belts if left in place, hence why he wants to remove them as well.

Edited by Black Knight

General rule for Mot is if it was fitted from the factory, it should be available at the time of Mot test.  If you remove the rear belts, you run the risk of failing. Would you expect to pass if you removed the front seat belts?  I have a 1960 series land rover which has no seat belts, but was made before they were mandatory so not required for mot.  The Mot is a funny beast,  you can fail for a cracked screen, but if you remove it and turn up with helmets and remove the wipers, no problem.

But you've just contradicted yourself there bud!?! :blink: A windscreen would definitely have been factory fitted :lol:

And if that's the case how do street legal stripped out cars get through MOT???

I'm fairly certain that if the ability to carry a passenger is also removed (i.e. the seats), then you could legitimately remove the belts also. But also guessing its going to be one of those some garages will see it one way and others will see it another type issues.

53 minutes ago, pappy_77 said:

General rule for Mot is if it was fitted from the factory, it should be available at the time of Mot test.  If you remove the rear belts, you run the risk of failing. Would you expect to pass if you removed the front seat belts?  I have a 1960 series land rover which has no seat belts, but was made before they were mandatory so not required for mot.  The Mot is a funny beast,  you can fail for a cracked screen, but if you remove it and turn up with helmets and remove the wipers, no problem.

Agree with this, if you removed belts, seats and rear side widows you may be able to get it classed as a van.

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

As I understand it if its there but faulty or not in working order then it will fail. But if not there AT ALL then it cant be failed. (This applies to anything MOT related).

Bulbs, brakes and steering?

As said previously it all comes down to the age and type of vehicle and a Celica Gen7 is not exempt under any of these rules.

Under section 5.1 of the MOT inspection manual for class 3, 4, 5 & 7.

Reasons for rejection.

A  statutory seat belt:
 * missing
  * of the wrong type.

So unless you take out the seats, not having belts on a vehicle of this age and type its a failure, only this year I failed a HGV for not having lap belt fitted to a center seat. Dorris

13 hours ago, planc said:

Bulbs, brakes and steering?

Alright smart-ass :P point taken....have edited that out.

However....'IF' you removed all lights and wiring for such I believe you can have a vehicle classified as 'Not to be used after dusk'. Sure I've herd of such on the custom build scene and some older classics don't have lights. However I would expect it would be a pointlessly complicated exercise on a modern vehicle that came with lights!

As to brakes, well no vehicle is usable without them, so go's without saying that they need to be in working order.....though judging from some of the crap I've seen on the roads I think working order is a loose term! :lol:

If you wanted to remove all traces of power steering and go Heman old school then I guess that would be your choice. Would undoubtedly be some reclassifying involved. But again not very practical!

3 hours ago, Dorris said:

...So unless you take out the seats, not having belts on a vehicle of this age and type its a failure...

So we were right Dorris? Remove seats as well and seat belts no longer required as ability to carry passengers is removed?

Not that the OP has ever said why they want to remove the rear belts anyway??? :blink:

R.E contradiction,  thats kind of what I was getting at. Mot's are supposed to be unambiguous, but you can argue the toss either way on some points. Best way is to find a sympathetic tester who is happy to view things your way because if they want to fail it for no seat belts they can.

• Like 1

I am being a bit lazy - Been too busy to correct a few minor faults in the rear and removed all trim and half or rear seat squab and the seat back.   Want to avoid the hassle of bolting back in just for a test and then take all out again - seeing as I have removed seat squab and back I will have a chat with local centre.

12 hours ago, pappy_77 said:

R.E contradiction,  thats kind of what I was getting at. Mot's are supposed to be unambiguous, but you can argue the toss either way on some points. Best way is to find a sympathetic tester who is happy to view things your way because if they want to fail it for no seat belts they can.

Somethings you can ie imported vehicles v cat issues but not seat belts, its a clear cut instant failure. You will be hard pushed to find a tester who is willing to put their job on the line for turning a blind eye to no seat belts. D

Ive a similar issue with a  Minibus i'm converting into a campervan. removing most of the rear seats. MOT centre when asked, said I would have to get the log book changed from 17 Seater down to 5 Seater, or MOT inspector would fail me as "missing" 12 seats and belts.  Reason he gave was, even if not fitted, as classed as a 17 seater, I could refit the seats and/or belts after MOT.

1 hour ago, AlexD said:

Ive a similar issue with a  Minibus i'm converting into a campervan. removing most of the rear seats. MOT centre when asked, said I would have to get the log book changed from 17 Seater down to 5 Seater, or MOT inspector would fail me as "missing" 12 seats and belts.  Reason he gave was, even if not fitted, as classed as a 17 seater, I could refit the seats and/or belts after MOT.

Different regs on a minibus - as you have to check all the seats as well as the belts

if you remove the seats and the belts from the rear on a car it will pass

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reading through the "The Road Vehicle (Construction & use) regulations 1986"  there is a basic rule that Any forward facing seat which can seat an adult on a vehicle which was manufactured on or after 1st April 1981 must have a seat belt, either a 3 point belt, or a lap belt, 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/47/made

If the seats are removed to turn it basically into a 'van' then you are safe to remove the seatbelts. BUT, check your V5 document. On newer vehicles it may state the number of seats. if it says 5, or in a Celica case, 4, then you would have to inform DVLA that you are modifying your vehicle to remove the seats.

3 hours ago, Old Red Celica said:

No rear seat belts in my 1983 Convertible and it's a 4 seater.

Weren't belts still optional anyway back then? I was born in 83...but have memories of my Nan never wearing a seat belt for some years, which probably brings you forward to about 86ish and Simons rule above :thumbs:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.