Restore or start over? Advice please :)

Ibeef

I would first invest into some decent cleaning stuff. I have used the

Meguiar's range for ages, Give your car a good clay bar to get the tar and crud off, then load up with the polish which help in covering up the swirls.

I have only used lint free cloths which are well cheap, no professional equipment whatsoever.

You will not regret doing it, for the sake of 20 odd quid. got to be cheaper than a new car, if not it will help you sell it as lagoon blue is awesome shined up.

post-48464-0-92094300-1462366111_thumb.jpg

Edited by VVTI
  • Like 1

i would also agree with VVTI , give it a nice going over Meguiars NXT car shampoo & dry , then with a Bilt Hamber (soft) claybar go over the paintwork until it appears nice and smooth then get a good polish , i used to use AG SRP but will be using Gtechniq P1 this weekend followed by a good sealant /wax ...

then your love it again im sure

• Like 1

I have got the buffer up for sale in the All other Items on here have a look

Seen it mate, I think I'm gonna invest in a silverline one as they have a really good rep for a novice DA polisher sorry.

I would first invest into some decent cleaning stuff. I have used the

Meguiar's range for ages, Give your car a good clay bar to get the tar and crud off, then load up with the polish which help in covering up the swirls.

I have only used lint free cloths which are well cheap, no professional equipment whatsoever.

You will not regret doing it, for the sake of 20 odd quid. got to be cheaper than a new car, if not it will help you sell it as lagoon blue is awesome shined up.

I'm going to get some maguiars stuff in this/next weekend and give it a go. I think its going to be a full days job, the pictures I posted don't show how bad the oxidisation is under the windows. It's gonna be a long day :P.

i would also agree with VVTI , give it a nice going over Meguiars NXT car shampoo & dry , then with a Bilt Hamber (soft) claybar go over the paintwork until it appears nice and smooth then get a good polish , i used to use AG SRP but will be using Gtechniq P1 this weekend followed by a good sealant /wax ...

then your love it again im sure

Yeah I'm going to give it a good once over and hopefully have it back to being something I can be proud of! Already got a replacement spoiler and wheels in the works.

• Like 2

That looks so cool! you'd look a plonker if anyone with a real super car tried to race you though! Seeing that reminds me of this which I saw on Ebay the other day http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Modified-Customised-Replica-Show-Car-Project-OneOff-Rare-Modified-One-Off-/301947032037?hash=item464d7211e5:g:IoIAAOSw3mpXJ9lT . I can't make my mind up weather I like it or not, a lot of work has certainly gone into it and the guy selling it seems very passionate about the car.

That looks so cool! you'd look a plonker if anyone with a real super car tried to race you though! Seeing that reminds me of this which I saw on Ebay the other day http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Modified-Customised-Replica-Show-Car-Project-OneOff-Rare-Modified-One-Off-/301947032037?hash=item464d7211e5:g:IoIAAOSw3mpXJ9lT . I can't make my mind up weather I like it or not, a lot of work has certainly gone into it and the guy selling it seems very passionate about the car.

i remember the guy who turned a calibra into a aston martin

http://www.carscoops.com/2010/01/opel-calibra-transformed-into-aston.html

Opel-Calibra-Aston-Martin-DB9-1.jpg

Opel-Calibra-Aston-Martin-DB9-0.jpg

opel-calibra-or-astow.jpg

calibra-dbs5.jpg

Yeah so do I! Its had a lot of work done to it too, shame it's a Cat D. I'd love to have the spare cash to spend thousands on my car like that.

Update on my celica:

I installed my new sony head unit last night, very pleased with it. Im not doing anything to it this weekend as I just finished my final exam at uni. As I've been in my office room for the past 8 weeks my mrs wants to spend some time together which is fair enough.

Ive been researching compounds and polishes etc and hopefully will have everything I need for next week to get this show on the road. Its a long list but it'll be worth it. I've also sourced a set of the fondmetal rims and a new spoiler which I'm hoping to get next week although the rims will need a full refurb. It may take me a few weeks to get everything done as I promised we'd get a new bathroom after my exams, but it's in motion and will happen.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

i remember the guy who turned a calibra into a aston martin

http://www.carscoops.com/2010/01/opel-calibra-transformed-into-aston.html

I missed this last time, appologies! That is a major undertaking and deffo a labour of love! It came out looking good though.

Just a quick update:

Managed to fit this at the weekend:

20160508_202029_zpsbsrkopis.jpg

I know it doesn't improve the exterior but it has motivated me to really go full on at this project :)

I also picked this up yesterday from the dealership in Derby, I was planning to sort the chips in my bonnet out tonight but the atrocious weather had other plans :(

20160510_161934_zpstj4oiu6w.jpg

I'm making an order tonight from cleanmycar.co.uk which is going to be quite costly but worth it :) does anyone know of any discount codes I could use? I also picked this up this afternoon for £55 from Argos:

20160510_161033_zpscadyacbm.jpg

20160510_161442_zpsznxsznxe.jpg

I was a little skeptical at first but I found posts from a few forums on the net giving this fairly good reviews and the before and after pictures were impressive enough for me to give it a go. I have got one question though, I'm ordering some Maguiars 6" pads the yellow and black, does anybody know the diameter of the backing plate needed for them?

Thanks

Edited by Ibeef

Yesterday I picked up some dynamic rims but won't be fitting them until I spray them and get some new tyres :). I also managed to fill in some of the chips on my car ready for polishing tomorrow.

20160514_180748_zpsm1vjzi7w.jpg

I also gave my car a wash, it was filthly so I decided to give it a wash today to remove a lot of the dirt. Tomorrow I will wash it again, clay it and then hit it with the compound, polish and wax. Here are a few pics of the challenges I face.

20160514_180757_zpsxu04vi8p.jpg

20160514_181057_zpsnkfjmvvp.jpg

And one of it looking much better even after an initial wash.

20160514_180819_zpsglq2fgzs.jpg

I also got out some ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish on my head lights as they were looking yellow and I'm really pleased with the result.

Before:

20160514_173330_zps7yxknuuu.jpg

After:

20160514_175046_zpswyp1diuu.jpg

So yeah tomorrow I'm going to spend all day on my car (weather permitting) and try to really bring it back to life. Wish me luck :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.