MOT fail

Not sure where it is. Hopefully when I get the side skirts off tomorrow I'll see where it is. I took the rear seats out last week and everything was dry so damp problem I don't think so but never know. I'm going to be investigating tomorrow so lots of pictures and questions and advice needed most likely.

It's not unknown for people to drill holes to fit sideskirts and not seal them properly allowing water to get in to the sills. I know the gen 5 sunroof drains also went into the sills, not sure about later models.

The usual mot bodge is to slap a plate over and weld round. To do properly involves cutting the rusty area right out including inner structure and welding in new metal, ideally replacing the whole sill but can be done with just a patch butt welded.

Not a massive task but commercial welders tend to charge a lot.

Finally a bit of good news. Got the skirts off today and had a look at the sills. My first impression was holey shit thats bad. Took it around to a garage my dad uses and got quoted 300+vat to fix the sills then they'll mot it afterwards. They don't think it's as bad as it was made out to be. So slightly glad it's not a huge repair bill.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.