Air line clamps good to use on brake hose?

So I'm gunna do a bit more faffing tomorrow. Gunna remove the calipers and clean them up. But I need to know whether to get my air line clamps from work or not.

When the brake hose is disconnected from the caliper, will there just be a little bit of fluid come out or will there be a lot so it's best to clamp the hose with air line clamps I got at work?

If you don't pinch the hoses you will eventually empty the whole system but once reassembled they will need re-bleeding to remove all the air. The rubber brake hoses will only need pinching to stop the fluid leaking out, pinch then too much and you will risk damaging the hoses. My advice is if you don't have experience working on brakes get someone who does to help you, its one thing you don't wont to get wrong! Dorris

Yeah I was just trying to save labour costs just to take the calipers off. If it was as easy as sticking air line clamps on, I would have done it myself. But if the hoses are quite 'fragile' I might give it a miss.

i never worry about clamping brake lines, i always cable-tie an empty fanta/coke whatever bottle up to the strut and let the pipe rest in it when removeing calipers. some will lose more fluid than others but ive yet to see a system drain a good lot out. and to answer your question, idealy they should be clamped to prevent fluid escapeing into the enviroment, polar bears and all that :angry:

I don't use clamp too risky to damage hose, but I leave the reservoir cap on which slows down the rate at which fluid comes out. iv seen blanking caps on ebay that u can use to plug the end of the hose while u work too.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.