Silicone vs Rubber hoses?

slybunda

I just bought these for my gen7:

IMAG5700_zpsirghaudl.jpg

IMAG5701_zps7rlcczbp.jpg

IMAG5702_zpsn8jvlwbr.jpg

I got them from here, available in 11 different colours:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331384876117&alt=web

Apparently they fit the 190 as Bumblebee runs them on his car. They seem very good quality and look nice nice and durable. I tried folding one back on itself and it didn't kink at all.

Edited by Serratia

I just bought these for my gen7:

IMAG5700_zpsirghaudl.jpg

IMAG5701_zps7rlcczbp.jpg

IMAG5702_zpsn8jvlwbr.jpg

I got them from here, available in 11 different colours:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=331384876117&alt=web

Apparently they fit the 190 as Bumblebee runs them on his car. They seem very good quality and look nice nice and durable. I tried folding one back on itself and it didn't kink at all.

Does this kit have rad hoses? I've just emailed them enquiring about a club discount or even as a corp member. You never know

I am sure it is just a styling fad, (though I will probably be proved wrong).

If silicone hoses were that good why don't Manufacturers use them as an OEM product ? Probably cost of materials and manufacturing prohibit this.

There are pro's & cons for both products.

Pro: , Easier to fit & remove, Aesthetically more pleasing to look at, Less susceptible to heat ageing compared to organic rubbers

Con : More expensive to produce, May require different hose clamps, Poorer sealing ability than rubber.

Just because a hose looks good may not mean that it is suitable for the job in hand.

Edited by Monkey Boy 1

Sorry mate, this kit didn't come with the big rad hoses but it seems to have everything else. I wont be fitting all of this kit to my engine as some of the pipes are are not compatible with the Rotrex set up so I'll be selling them on. Keep an eye on the for sale forum or PM me if you want first dibs of what I don't use :)

Edited by Serratia

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Chris on this one - the rubber hoses very rarely fail, silicon hoses are too hard and as such don't seem to make as good a seal. Silicon hoses are for looks only imo

Let me rephrase that Toyota oem hoses are very good quality - I can't say the same for most European manufacturers

• 2 weeks later...

The normal rubber ones last longer are a lot cheaper and do the same job, the only advantage I can think off that silicone hoses have is that they are easily to manipulate when installing and obviously they look better but unless your making a show car then I would stick with the rubber hoses and spend your money on more decent mods

My project build i am not putting any silicone hoses on it at all if i can help it. OEM rubber or stainless braided hoses. I have never known a silicone water hose fail, but they discolour pretty quickly. Also silicone vacuum hose is best avoided. They are okayish, but rips really easily if knicked by something sharp or if its slightly too small internal size. Definately form over function.

Guest Ambermile

Does this kit have rad hoses? I've just emailed them enquiring about a club discount or even as a corp member. You never know

I dunno - they pretty cool but rad might be going too far :o

They look good and that's all that matters

Looking good is not enough... we need to know how good - then we can work out the percentage increase in horsepower!

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.