"BHP Loss"

CelicaRy

So I was talking to a friend yesterday and he asked me what bhp my car is and I said 140 or around that and he laughed and said a car that old has lost so much bhp it's probably like 110, now it did get me thinking, is bhp loss a myth or is there a proven fact, has anyone done a dyno on a pre face-lift? Just curious on this

Edited by CelicaRy

my 1996 UK ST202 is in fairly standard spec except for exhaust system. Standard it should be 168 BHP at the crank. My one and only dyne test showed it produced nearly 173BHP.

If a car is regularly serviced then a power drop is less than if a car is not serviced. With mine I was expecting around 155 to 160 due to it's age and mileage 110 k at the time of testing, so very happy with the result.

Some cars use inferior materials. so suffer from cam wear, bore wear, Piston wear etc. All this causes a loss in power.

Fuel makes a difference too. supermarket pump fuel with a lower RON figure can give less 'bangs for your buck' too

Maybe he's just thinking of that the actual horsepower at the wheels is usually a bit less than at the flywheel

I remember reading that the BHP could go up when it's older because the engine loosens up but who knows ;)

From the gen 7 naturally aspirated power list basically every car is reading +/- 8bhp from the rated horsepower so it's not any major difference

Think it depends on how the car has been serviced over the years and things that could make a minor difference may be the driver, wheels, sparkplugs, exhaust, air filter, fuel filter etc

Engines do lose power over time but a well maintained one shouldn't lose too much.

Only way for sure is to take th engine out and put it on a crank dyno, a rolling road fly wheel figure doesn't really tell the whole story as all dynos vary massively.

• Like 2

Engines do lose power over time but a well maintained one shouldn't lose too much.

Only way for sure is to take th engine out and put it on a crank dyno, a rolling road fly wheel figure doesn't really tell the whole story as all dynos vary massively.

That's why are dyno days are good. 20-30 results to compare all on the same machine.

Friends of mine have made similar comments regarding my car and its age, suspecting there'll be power loss after all these years (Y Reg, 140), perhaps they are right?

Now I don't know if I'll get in trouble or frowned upon for admitting this - But at least, according to the dials, it'll still hit it's paper figure top speed :blush:. So can't have lost too many ponies.

I reckon my T Sport is pushing out about 120hp. :giveup:

i know my tsport feels more agile than my vx was and that was one heck of a bigger engine and my vx was lowered too so a big heavy car did well on the handling but im sure yours is kicking more than 120 horses .... mabe it needs a lift haha :)

hp i think is a little redudant to spectulate for our cars. there's not really that much! servicing regularly(moreso if youre smashing it) keeps it from loosing as fast but celicas are actually light cars which go well for handling. someone told me we are lighter than the integra and those things handle really well. i kept up with them on tracks with my sports m and our cars take corners well. not amazingly for straights so no need to worry about hp if the car is working and well maintained. just enjoy the corners!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.