Full Beam removal MOT fail ?

digs

I would say yes, but then again you could wire it into the headlight instead

I know someone fairly local who done that.........or fitted side lights to his full beams or something and had no MOT problems

You mean wire the main bulb to also act as full beam ? Though assume bulb would not be right type ...?

Might do some research. Only add it in after mot (next month ) if a fail :) but might be nice to get it to work anyway

hmmm, idea Briano ! Maybe find a spare outer to try.

Ams, have a wiring diagram for them somewhere (outers are dipped and low, inners are main) - what is it your getting at ? Can take a look :)

guessing full beams don't need to be directed in the same way as the dipped ? as they will always blind oncoming traffic ?

Lights must be in pairs and symmetric. Not certain if full beam is needed, but a single one is illegal.

Bear in mind if something will not pass an not it is also illegal on the road and you can be prosecuted if stopped by the fuzz.

Lights must be in pairs and symmetric. Not certain if full beam is needed, but a single one is illegal.

Bear in mind if something will not pass an not it is also illegal on the road and you can be prosecuted if stopped by the fuzz.

cool, thanks, that's clear. So either a outer light mod that allows both dipped and full to be used in them, or neither.

I did think of the legal issues if not good for an mot.

Think i will ponder some more on this - possible both inners are removed as an option as well. Think someone has already done so, sure saw a pic in Japfest 2 pictures on here.

Or come up with a different idea, or just use if go on a track.

Personally I would make it so you can interchange your high beam and cold air intake without having to remove the bumper, for the sake of the MOT. If you get a spare headlight for pennies you can cut the tabs off and then just jam it in the hole with a few cable ties. As long as it aimed the same as the other it should be a pass.

Cheers,

Jon

Get a spare set of outers and modify them to take an H4 bulb, then it's just a case of re wiring to an H4 connector which you can pilfer from any scrappy for nowt. :D

you mean like briano says, actually ADD a H4 bulb in addition to the normal bulb,or something a bit more clever ?

I need to read up on this ! As not understanding some of it lol :) I'll get there....

Personally I would make it so you can interchange your high beam and cold air intake without having to remove the bumper, for the sake of the MOT. If you get a spare headlight for pennies you can cut the tabs off and then just jam it in the hole with a few cable ties. As long as it aimed the same as the other it should be a pass.

Cheers,

Jon

The easy way lol!

If I was doing something a bit different....

What about two Outer Projectors, a HID kit that did both dipped and full (assume you can get them?) and rewire so it all works ?

Edited by digs

you mean like briano says, actually ADD a H4 bulb in addition to the normal bulb,or something a bit more clever ?

I need to read up on this ! As not understanding some of it lol :) I'll get there....

The H4 is a dip & main in one, so I'd look at replacing the stock HB4 with the H4 so it fits into the same hole. Adding extra bulbs to the outer headlights will be nigh on impossible to align so they give you a decent beam. If you want some spare outers to faf with I might have some.

However for all the faffage involved in getting an H4 to fit, it would probably be easier to either fit aftermarket driving lights somewhere else on the front and loose both your main beams or route the inlet somewhere else (hole cut in one of the wings or bonnet).

The H4 is a dip & main in one, so I'd look at replacing the stock HB4 with the H4 so it fits into the same hole. Adding extra bulbs to the outer headlights will be nigh on impossible to align so they give you a decent beam. If you want some spare outers to faf with I might have some.

However for all the faffage involved in getting an H4 to fit, it would probably be easier to either fit aftermarket driving lights somewhere else on the front and loose both your main beams or route the inlet somewhere else (hole cut in one of the wings or bonnet).

got ya! If you do have any, am often in southamtpon so could swing by :)

Have thought about another entry point, though don't mind the faffing to experiment, as long as I don't do anything irreversable. Be interesting to see what's needed to get it working anyway as a project.

Edited by digs

got ya! If you do have any, am often in southamtpon so could swing by :)

Have thought about another entry point, though don't mind the faffing to experiment, as long as I don't do anything irreversable. Be interesting to see what's needed to get it working anyway as a project.

Will have a look tonight and see what's in stock. :lol: I think I have a couple with broken tabs in the garage.

cheer buddy :)

So.....

It would be a case of H4 bulbs, pluuging them http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/290729774870?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80or nicked from another car, then rewiring the light circuit somewhat to run both power cables to the same bulb.

And somehow getting them to fit in the same way as exisiting so light pattern is exactly the same.

guessing here - will look on the wiring diagrams tonight

for high beams, power and earth, and a 2 plug connector.

for low beams, power and earth, and a 2 plug connector.

Idea would be tow create some kind of adaption harness so can unplug and not mess up wiring ?

So plug for high beams, and plug for low beams, 4 wires coming out.

combine the two earths so left with three wires, power for high, power for low, one earth.

Wire these into the H4 plug connector.

Stage two fitting the H4 plug.

utilising something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pair-30CM-HB4-9006-HB4-Wiring-Harness-Extension-Wires-fr-Xenon-Bulb-EVHG-/151740921795?hash=item235476b7c3

or something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/181648949625?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Edited by digs

Sounds right to me.

I only have one outer lamp, it's got all it's tags on it but has the electric height adjustment on it rather than a manual one. Should be usable. Yours if you want it.

The lamp housings can be removed as they're held on by 6 screws so the next challenge (should you choose to accept it) is making up the housing for the H4 bulb so it can fit into the headlight unit. They're usually held in with a spring clip of some description.

Sounds right to me.

I only have one outer lamp, it's got all it's tags on it but has the electric height adjustment on it rather than a manual one. Should be usable. Yours if you want it.

The lamp housings can be removed as they're held on by 6 screws so the next challenge (should you choose to accept it) is making up the housing for the H4 bulb so it can fit into the headlight unit. They're usually held in with a spring clip of some description.

if that's cool, I will, can practice with it, be easier out of the car :) I actually have no height adjustment on mine, lowly SSI, but can't see that as an issue. Will let you know when down in southampton next and can pop over :)

Ok, better start amassing a few bits. Quite keen to get this working now, not for MOT, just to do it :) sure others have, but like to solve it on mine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.