Replacement Key Required - DIY Flip Key?

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find any threads about replacement keys. I'm not as active a member as I'd like to be, I'm currently wrapped up in trying to move house at the moment so everything is a bit mental.

Anyway, I'm onto my spare key now as the casing on my original started to crack. The spare is now cracked as well. I don't know if it's the way I turn it in the ignition or just what happens to these keys with age (52 plate Gen 7).

I saw a post on a Facebook Celica Group (sorry it came up on my feed) that someone had made their own flip key transferring all the electronics into a flip key housing.

Has anyone here successfully done it? The flip key casing looks pretty cheap anyway so I'm not worried about buying that in vain. I'm more wary of hacking at my original key only to find it doesn't work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390653508867

I downloaded a picture but Photobucket won't upload it :angry:

I also found these links:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/98003-programming-a-replacement-key/

http://www.celica.talktalk.net/keyreprog.htm

The CCUK post seems too old to trace back but I'm sure this must have been covered somewhere else. I would like to have a go anyway so any help will be welcome, thanks! :D

Hello,

Thanks for the support, I've sent Geraint a PM so maybe he can help me.

I think I'll have a go anyway, the way I see it if I try and fail on my most broken key then I can still pay to have an official replacement which I'd to have do anyway.

Sooner or later the key is going to completely crack open, spill its guts and give out. I don't intend to be stranded somewhere when I need my car to start!

Where there's a will, there's a way!

• Like 1

If you've still got the insides to a spare key of yours, then this is how you do it :)

Flip Key Conversion

This is the flip key I bought: ebay Link

It was the only one that looked decent, and came with a Toyota logo. I've had others and they feel cheap, but this one's decent quality.

$_1.JPG $_1.JPG

1. Open up your old key (a single screw by the blade will allow it to pop open), and remove the internal fob. This fob contains the buttons, the battery and the chip, all in one assembly.

uzwBkxw.jpg

2. Using a scalpel or a very thin knife, carefully score the join between the plastic and rubber top to break the seal.

du0ct6I.jpg

3. Peel back the rubber, and you'll see the black responder chip in the corner.

K7xbw78.jpg

4. Inside your new key, you'll notice an area to put it.

4rVHi1B.jpg

5. I put a tiny blob of blue tac in first to stop it rattling, then placed the chip in this gap

RKdAaud.jpg

6. Using 3-4 tiny blobs of superglue, re-seal your key fob that you opened. Then, place into the new key housing.

V0LePFl.jpg

7. Re-assemble the new housing. You have to place the button, key and the spring into one side, then wind it with the other side of the housing - then clip it down. You'll figure it out. You might also notice the buttons are slightly sunken in - this is normal, and just its design.

x8T9WsI.jpg

8. That's it! Get the key cut for around £5 and you're good to go.

gdMB4F7.jpg

When getting your key cut, Timpsons won't do it for you. They used to, but are now not allowed to cut Ebay keys as people blamed them for ruining the key, when it was just badly made. Go to an independent cobblers and they'll do it for you for a couple of quid.

So much better than the standard key.

JGBSQuE.jpg

• Like 3

Thats cool - and a nice job!

Can you tell me the length of the exposed metal part of your key is when extended please Geraint?

Id want to keep my original keys and fob etc but wouldnt mind having a go at replicating a cobbled version of this for my gen 6 key just for the convenience of having less to carry around with me.

Cheers

Thats cool - and a nice job!

Can you tell me the length of the exposed metal part of your key is when extended please Geraint?

Id want to keep my original keys and fob etc but wouldnt mind having a go at replicating a cobbled version of this for my gen 6 key just for the convenience of having less to carry around with me.

Cheers

47mm length, 8mm width :)

• 9 months later...

I've had a flip key for a while but the case was looking a bit worn, I quite liked the look of the fob geraintthomas was using so I had a nosy on ebay. The seller in the link wanted $20 postage plus the cost of the key so I had another look round ebay and I've found a chinese seller who supplied two keys which were delivered in only 6 days for £7.18 (ebay link... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161813509032?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AI

DSC_1140%20new_zpsxstnnj7u.jpg

I then had a look round for the Toyota badge that fits on the back of the fob, found these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-new-14mm-Black-for-toyota-Car-logo-auto-Key-Fob-Emblem-Badge-Radio-button-Sticker/32443322637.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.66.fuAoX6 , I bought 4 for £2.09 and they were delivered in only 7 days!!

Excellent write up by geraint and only £9.27 to build two flip keys :)

Edited by Jonny82

WIth the keys I thought that there were 2 parts? The remote fob that opens the door and arms / disarms the alarm system but I thought the key itself was coded somehow to start the car / disable immobiliser etc?

I went to timpsons about 8 months ago and got 2 keys cut (no alarm fob) and they were £50 each! But above seems to suggest you can just get an ebay key cut but then does this disable the immobilizer?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.