[Solved] Pin pointed brake knocking noise but have I missed something?

Gimba

10mm hole is to adjust the cog on the handbrake shoes which has a rubber bung in it, take a look at the last picture posted of a close up of the smaller hole, tell me where the head of the bolt sits as there is no countersink there it's completely flat, so any bolt fitted in that hole will protrude.

Also there are no holes in the hub to screw the disc to the hub.

ill leave it for the weekend i think, i just did the cog up real tight, then loosened it by a few clicks ( guess you could call it that), the noise has stopped for now whilst in motion, but still persist when you touch the break

ill see if i can record the noise on the way to work tomorrow

10mm hole is to adjust the cog on the handbrake shoes which has a rubber bung in it, take a look at the last picture posted of a close up of the smaller hole, tell me where the head of the bolt sits as there is no countersink there it's completely flat, so any bolt fitted in that hole will protrude.

Also there are no holes in the hub to screw the disc to the hub.

Apologies my mistake should have remembered from when I did mine last year I must have got mixed up with my previous cars which all had the discs held by two countersunk bolts and the hubs had threaded holes to fix them to, even my Son's S2000 had them and the Celica must have been the first I changed that didn't have any retaining bolts. Could have sworn my TSport had them when I did them last year but cant really check easily as I have spacers bolted to the hubs. So sorry for the confusion.

Looking at your rear discs they look a very similar set up the the Gen 6. I am not too genned up on the Gen 7 so forgive me if this info is totally wrong for the 7. Anyway when I was getting a clonking noise from my Gen 6 from the rear it turned out to be the handbrake shoes. one of the mushroom clips which hold the shoe in place had come adrift and the retaining washer inside the drum was catching in the drum / shoe. The noise went when you slightly applied the handbrake while on the move, but came back when you took the pressure off the cable as the shoes would not sit concentric to the drum so started knocking.

I had to replace the shoes and the mushroom shoe retainer clips, as one which has a 'U' bend in it was pretty straight.

Looking at your rear discs they look a very similar set up the the Gen 6. I am not too genned up on the Gen 7 so forgive me if this info is totally wrong for the 7. Anyway when I was getting a clonking noise from my Gen 6 from the rear it turned out to be the handbrake shoes. one of the mushroom clips which hold the shoe in place had come adrift and the retaining washer inside the drum was catching in the drum / shoe. The noise went when you slightly applied the handbrake while on the move, but came back when you took the pressure off the cable as the shoes would not sit concentric to the drum so started knocking.

I had to replace the shoes and the mushroom shoe retainer clips, as one which has a 'U' bend in it was pretty straight.

Man I wish I knew what you was on about, i've never touched the shoes and springs, looks quite complicated, I'll see if anyone has guides online , cheers monkey, I'll keep in mind and have a look

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=296084

Found this guide, but looks like something I'd mess up, think ill get it done somewhere if shoes need changing

It keeps saying "please sign in to view video"????

Was saved on private, should be good now

Edited by Gimba

just back off the adjusting cog through the hole in the front as you have already done,remove the disc and it will look become alot clearer what has been described, if your still unsure just put the disc back on and adjust.

the shoes shouldn't need replacing they last years and usually break up due to age not wear if at all,as they don't stop the car while its moving just hold it in place so,should be no wear unless its been driven with the handbrake on.

If you are still unsure and have no idea what to do, take it to a mechanic or someone that does, don't mean to be rude but brakes are not something you should mess with if you are not sure.

If the springs clips holding the shoes have become weak or snapped, they can cause the shoes to catch the disc etc, mine did so I replaced the fitting kit.

• 2 months later...

So i bought new discs, noise stayed

Changed pad, noise stayed

Swapped wheel front to back, noise stayed

Swapped bolts front to back, noise stayed

Swapped wheel for spare OEM in boot, noise stopped, any ideas?

Not sure if this helps, had two noises when my rear disks and pads were replaced:-

Rotational noise when driving, not braking caused by the plate the brake shoes are fitted on rubbing on the inside of the disk hub, fixed by bending the plate a little with a hammer.

Clunking when braking at slow speed in traffic, caused by not having any shimms fitted. Previously had Red stuff pads on the rear which didn't need shimms

Totally stupid question here, but if you had the noise with aftermarket wheels on and did all these changes and the noise was still there. Then you changed to an OEM spare wheel and the noise stopped. Have you checked that there was nothing touching the wheel like a brake line or cable ?

Did you try putting the aftermarket wheel back on and see if the noise returned ?

I did put the aftermarket back on and yep, it returned

But a quick update, after tightening the clog up a few notches the constant wheel noise has stopped whilst driving, it only does a clonk noise when in motion and you press the brake, as soon as the brake is pressed it'll clonk once, soon as you let go, it'll clonk again, but will only clonk when you let go of the brake if the car is in motion, or simpler .. it only clonks once per brake press, once per brake release only when in motion, no noise when car is stable

I still feel the brake discs holes are too big and knocking against the wheel screws, but for some reason, no matter how tight the wheels are, it will simply just not lock the disc into position to stop forceful movement

Im going to try and use different wheel nuts next and see what that does

Edited by Gimba

If the wheel is done up correctly there is no way the disc can move. (unless the wheel centre hole is too small to clear the hub centre) The Disc is clamped in place by the wheel. If when the OEM wheel was fitted there was no clonking, but when the aftermarkets were fitted the clonking came back I would look at the wheels

Check the centre hole for any damage or witness marks.

Are you sure it is not any of the bushes or suspension causing the noise ?

(I will have to recheck the video's you've posted I can't access them on the work's PC)

Clunking when braking at slow speed in traffic, caused by not having any shimms fitted. Previously had Red stuff pads on the rear which didn't need shimms

Well I can't thank you enough for this suggestion, was doing my absolute head in, decided to grease the back of the pads real good as I have no shims yet, and sure enough it has stopped, thanks everyone else for giving suggestions, such a relief it's all over

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.