celica GT vs GT86

I know they are deffo bringing out a new gt86 in 2017 with a extra 5bhp and they have changed the front end slightly

The oil leak seems to be a commen thing on them with the scooby engine,and if I'm gonna spend 20 grand on one I'd expect better tbh

Was totally looking to buy a GT86 wanted a low mileage automatic, found one at right price done the deal then took one for a test drive oh dear, noisy, uncomfortable, rattled like a box of biscuits, total disappointment, saved myself 20k will stick with my Celica no comparison.

just a update on the gt86 idea,took one out for a test drive,back seats are pretty pointless and also i was quite disappointed about how quick it felt,deffo felt slower than the celica,also been reading from the gt86 owners club about issues people are having already and i have to say im quite put of the idea now,its a shame as its a lovely looking car but this is just one guys list of issues already

1. Transmission - crunching in first, second, third and fourth now even after an hour of driving. Sometimes not allowing selection of a gear, sometimes grinding as if the clutch wasn't pressed.
  2. Probably linked to 1, the car will happily jump forward when engaging first gear with the clutch fully depressed.
  3. Rattles all around the internal trim.
  4. Excessively loud clutch switch (or something else going on to make the clutch knock when pressed).
  5. Passenger side window has started leaking.
  6. Squealing brakes.
  7. Oil leak on triangular plate at the back of the engine.
  8. Bluetooth randomly disconnects and won't reconnect until the car's been switched off and back on again.
  9. Stereo often can't see my iPhone when plugged into the USB, same with iPod Nano and USB sticks. Doesn't see all music when using MP3.
  10. New today, annoying noise in the boot. I think it's where the connector is at the left. Sounds like something tapping rather loudly on the metal of the car. Reminds me of my dad's old Morris Ital estate when it was 15 years old and been punished for man of those years carrying around all his joinery equipment.

shame :(

The only issue I have from that list is the squealing brakes - this is down to the harder compound used on the pads. Toyota will replace them with softer compound pads if you want under warranty.

Mine's a 14 plate one - purchased with 9k miles and still a great car to drive IMHO.

the gears are a little notchy until warmed up but not to the point where you can't select gears. I suspect that was a bit of a lemon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.