celica GT vs GT86

The GT86 is a great base for upgrading parts to a awesome track car. The trouble is it is too new at the moment so prices are high, but when the price falls I think they will be really popular. It just seems like the perfect base for upgrading.

• Like 1

What was the situation comparison wise with the Blyton car,certainly looks far from stock that one?

That was the Fensport monster. Lol. Only passed him because he was on his cooldown lap.

Lee was driving Paul's rotrex though and giving his all against it. Believe the Fen could not get past.

My mate owned my Celica from new for 11 years before buying a new GT-86. He loved the Celica and could not find anything to replace it with until the GT-86 came out.

Parked next to one another the cars are very similar in proportion. The Celica can definitely give it a run for it's money in the looks department, with just a few details making it show it's age.

He still misses a lot of things about the Celica - for one, it's way more practical considering the cars are the same size.

Performance wise they're similar, with the GT-86 having more low down but torque lacking that banzai scream at the top end. The Celica engine has more character - as long as you thrash it of course ;-) They may be slow compared to some modern cars, but I rarely want for more to be honest, and are still way faster then most cars on the road.

Having said that, the GT-86 is all about handling and balance. In the right conditions the RWD can be great fun, and more accessible than on other similar cars. I got to take part in a GT-86 track day at Oulton park (only as a passenger unfortunately) and all the drivers had a ball. On the other hand, in wintry conditions you may be best off leaving it at home!

I'd love one. It's great to know there's something out there to replace my Celica eventually. With the current depreciation I might even be able to afford one one day.

Pics from the track day:

oulton1.jpg

oulton2.jpg

Old vs new:

celica_gt86_1.jpg

celica_gt86_2.jpg

celica_gt86_3.jpg

celica_gt86_4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never understand the Prius tyres comment (unless it's sarcasm that I have missed), because as far as I know GT86's have 215/45 R17 tyres which is exactly the same as a Gen 7 :think:

I Was looking at this car over the weekend, being new to Toyota ownership I just wanted to see what was out there and Jeremy Clarkson made a pretty positive video about driving it. In the video he said the tyres were exactly the same as fitted to a Prius - heres what he said...

http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/jeremy-drives-toyota-gt86-series-19-episode-3

With a little bit of experience with both cars now I can say without any doubt that mechanically there's little between them. The true difference is in the way it feels when you push on and explore grip limits etc. Personally I think the GT86 is better looking, more modern, as you'd expect BUT... with the cost of GT86 at maybe somewhere between 6-10x the price of a decent Gen7 Celica it is a touch call to take the plunge. When costs come down further I'll be looking out for one maybe.

With a little bit of experience with both cars now I can say without any doubt that mechanically there's little between them. The true difference is in the way it feels when you push on and explore grip limits etc. Personally I think the GT86 is better looking, more modern, as you'd expect BUT... with the cost of GT86 at maybe somewhere between 6-10x the price of a decent Gen7 Celica it is a touch call to take the plunge. When costs come down further I'll be looking out for one maybe.

Yep...I'd agree with that...I like the GT86 but I'm not prepared to shell out what they are going for currently.

The Celica right now is great value in comparison.

Neil

Well, I'm 60 next year and as a treat to myself I'll be buying a GT86 for my birthday, should be down to around £12k by then.

Good for you...go for it. :thumbs: ...they'll have to get well South of £10k before I even begin to consider one., :laugh2:

Neil

Ayup...me dad worra miner...'e took 'is snap tin every day.! :rolleyes:

Neil

Sorry, mi duck. Ar forgot tha's had to buy snap for tha' whippet ;)

Back on topic then :)

..and I had to 'ave me flat cap de-greased.! :wacko:

Neil.. ;)

Ayup...me dad worra miner...'e took 'is snap tin every day.! :rolleyes:

Neil

..and I had to 'ave me flat cap de-greased.! :wacko:

Neil.. ;)

?? what is 'snap' tin - a tuck box equivalent?? :D

I read the above too quickly and thought you were having a cat flap degreased !

?? what is 'snap' tin - a tuck box equivalent?? :D

I read the above too quickly and thought you were having a cat flap degreased !

:hysterical: .....as Ian said...a metal container for food...."snap" being a Northern colloquialism for food.

All Miners would have a snap tin.!..protect yer "sarnies" from the coal dust.! :)

...and just to keep this loosely on topic...me dad was a Deputy/shot firer so he had a "GT" snap tin. :rolleyes: ;)

Neil

Edited by RUToyota

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.