celica GT vs GT86

ok guys im really stuck here,heres the thing,ive had my GT now about 2 years,its really low miles still and only on 47k,ive just started a new job where im earning more money so i can finally mod the shit out of the GT or i can go for a GT86 which one would you guys do and why? GT86 seems like the next step,but as my GT has loads of life still left in it..opinions?

Didn't think you would have modded the 'hallowed' GT or even considered trading it for a GT86 going on previous comments. I don't like the look of the GT86 and they are 10 a penny too so I would stick with the 7.

• Like 1

when i say mod,i mean like improvements i guess,like brakes,maybe change the rims as tech 5s are well old now,stuff like that,nothing major :) good point tho about gt86 being lots around,i guess there will be even more about as prices drop as well

If you can get a test drive on a gt86 would be interesting on comparing them.

ive actually took one out and they are lovely to drive,very much like the celica as in driving position the noise from the engine is nice also,power wise about the same id say..tho the gt86 meant to be slower slightly on paper

I would think the depreciation is all done now with your GT and if anything it's value may rise if you give it the TLC, and while it gains more classic status.

A GT86 is a fab car no doubt but any particular buying price now is bound to depreciate by many more thousands....

Also, i've heard reports from 2 different mechanics that GT86s go just as dreadfully rusty underside as Gen7s, seems as if Toyota care nought about anti-corrosion for the UK market.

just my 2 cents worth : )

Debs

More modern car and I'd have bought one when they came out had the rear seats been usable and bit bit more oomph from the engine. Wheels and spoiler are marmite. It handled well enough on its skinny Prius tyres. Been up against a couple on track. Found them a little faster at the end of the straights but my handling still had it though the complexes. A lot of deals around on them now as they have not sold as many as Toyota wanted.

Would be asking myself;

1) Do I want RWD or FWD ? Obviously that decides it right there or at least says sell the GT and get something rwd. Test drive a gt86 and drift it ;)

2) If I don't care, do I want to keep things pretty stock or go crazy modding

3) If crazy modding, sell the GT, buy a cheaper t-sport or gen 6, go crazy

4) If stock, err.....Gt or GT6 then ;) lol.

As johnnyboy (kinda) says, just get the one that will make you grin when you get in it, sod the depreciation, future worth, etc.

I traded my GT for an '86 earlier this year. As much as I loved my celica the '86 easily matches it. The '86 is a little less practical, smaller boot, practically no rear seats, but if you are after a fun RWD then it's the one.

Looked at getting the Aero myself. but can't justify the price tag they currently carry. Plus I think the 2zz is a little more characterful than the boxer lump. never much been a fan of the scooby throb, not that you get much of that as the 86 has equal length headers.

it's all personal preference and depends on what you want.

Don't get me wrong once the prices fall a bit I may be seriously tempted, but right now I'm gonna sit on the GT and add some of my own improvements, may end up never selling it... I really can't see it right now.. My shopping list is wayyyyy too long lol

im not to worried about being fwd or rwd to be honest,i just know that if i start spending money on my GT with improvements i wont stop lol and you dont get your money back EVER

so it was either put that money towards a gt86 or stick with the GT,as said id love a aero kit 86,but at 27 grand i just cant justify that right now,right now i am swaying to just keeping it and making it my own.

More modern car and I'd have bought one when they came out had the rear seats been usable and bit bit more oomph from the engine. Wheels and spoiler are marmite. It handled well enough on its skinny Prius tyres. Been up against a couple on track. Found them a little faster at the end of the straights but my handling still had it though the complexes. A lot of deals around on them now as they have not sold as many as Toyota wanted.

I found this too. wanted one till i actually looked around it, very inpractical. cant use the back seats unless you have no legs. so its a 2 seater really. for that i would go for much better cars. and the lack of turbo otion is a real shitter, but then its fairly easy to do an STI engine swap.

This was going to be my sensible set up from my celica. decided to keep the celica, which is now becoming my track car. and use my Evo now as a daily. 4 doors and good sized boot, very practical, and tons of power. dont say much for economy, but then thats not why you buy an evo! haha.

At the end of the day, its obviously up to you. personally id keep the celica, and find a better car down the line.

a lot of talk on here about use of the rear seats.

personally i don't care how cramped my passengers are, i don't ever buy a car on the consideration of those i and driving around ;)

gen6 isn't practical in the rear for adults, neither is the gen 7. and if i have my seat in a driving position in a gen5 only a legless person can get in behind. as for the GT86 to dismiss buying one on the grounds of rear passenger space is a bit weak

I like the GT86..and the cheaper it becomes...the better I like it. :rolleyes: ....there's only ever 2 max. of us in the car so back seat room is totally irrelevant to me....and it means I can never be expected to be a "taxi".. :) ..(as Briano says...the Gen 7 isn't exactly blessed with loadsa room in the back either.)

'62 plates are advertised at £15/16k currently...I think I might have to wait a while before they reach the amount I want to pay. :rolleyes:

Neil

Edited by RUToyota

With extra money coming in, my first question would be..do you have a mortgage?. If so, look to increase your monthly repayments, so it's paid off earlier.

Boring, but sensible.

As for the Celica versus GT86 question..the Gen 7 is the better looking car, and being FWD with a hatch, a better "all rounder".

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.