I'm an indecisive s*** car is sorted but I need a door.

That is the problem when you become attached to a car. They can be an absolute money pit and you would never in a million years get back what you put into it, but Hey.... It's a Celica, and the gen 6 is one of the beat looking 1990's sports cars around that doesn't look dated.

I too have spent a fortune on mine in my nearly 6 years of ownership. It's not just the GT4 guys that Faff, we all do to a certain extent. Had it been a Ford or Vauxhall it would have been scrapped or sold on many years ago, but it still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

Keep the faith, take a deep breath, take a step back and methodically go through what you have done to trace back to any problem.

my old 182 was a dilemma, do i put 400£ in to mot and then keep spending. Wood have easy cost 2000 to have it sitting fully sorted as i wanted so i just decided to put that plus a bit towards the 185. That was my next move anyways but hadn't planned to be as soon. From last September i started looking for a good gt4 and eventually bought one in march. I miss the old 182 and the strops it chucked at me. But it was just a case of feck it, onwards and upwards in the end.

I know how you feel on this one,I've had my gen 4 for about 5 years now and spent a large amount of cash on it ( I think I stopped counting at over the 5 grand mark ), in fact the past year and a half nearly 2 grand and 800 of that was since late December last year and it still needs about 2 grand or more to get it to where I would want it to be !

It went into floodwater in December 2013 after turning a blind corner and I sent the car down to beks who replaced the engine and did a manual conversion and an excellent job he did and massive amount of work and electrics to sort in the process but after that my car didn't feel like my car anymore I struggled to gel with it and still do tbh BUT I've been looking lately at replacements but so far the few I've driven on test drives haven't given me a good feeling so ill possibly hold onto the car until or even if I can find a car that gives me the vibes that yep this is good

Edited by AdyGT
  • Like 1

Glad to here you are having second thoughts mate.

I was like this last December. Mine had turned into an oil burner over night. Got ridiculous. Seriously thought of getting rid. But ams came to the rescue with a spare engine and I've not lookedback since. Had 4yrs trouble free motoring. 6 months of dilemma. But now ivejust entered yr 5of ownership and really happy again. Just spent a load on breaks all round with an avensis front caliper upgrade. So hopefully I will now have some more trouble free motoring.

Keep the faith buddy.

Man I really, really know the feeling. Click back a dozen or so pages on my thread, or ask anyone in the Gen 7 section, and you'll find that I threatened to sell mine a few times. It's the fact that you have an image of what the car should be like, and you're working towards it. Then you get a bump in the road with something going wrong, and you fix it. Then you're fixing something else, then something else, and before you know it the plans you wanted to do to the car end up going up in flames thanks to many small issues.

I bought £1,000 worth of performance parts last year, and they're still in my room gathering dust. Wilwood 4-pot Superlite calipers, 325mm discs, braided hoses, whiteline front ARB, rear adjustable camber arms, and an engine poly mount. Not one of those things have been fitted. And here's why - I was literally about to call the mechanic to book it in to get everything fitted, when the car started handling really, REALLY weird. Tramlining all over the place. Bushes were fine, wishbones were fine, everything was fine. I spent hundreds on new shocks, didn't fix it.

Then when I'm starting to sort that, I get a knocking at the back of the car.

Then, I get a rattle on idling.

Then, I get a vibration around 3,000rpm.

Then, the paint on my rocker cover starts bubbling.

Then, my new HID ballasts start playing up.

Then, I get an engine management light.

If you knew anything about me, you'd know that I try to make my car as mint as possible. But after that list, I ended up with the car that rattled when standing still, vibrated when accelerating, knocking over bumps, swerving all over the road, with a headlight out and an EML lit up on the dash.

And that's the point where I thought "F**k it. I'm done with it, I'll sell it".

...but sell it for what?

If I wanted to buy another car, I'd want to get a car that's reliable, good looking, fast, cheap to work on and sounds great. And after a month of looking on AutoTrader, I realised I already have a car that was reliable, good looking, fast, etc. It just has a few bits wrong with it. So I could either sell up, put a few grand towards a car that would just be a similar nature to one I already have, or fix the issues that won't cost the fraction of the price of a new car to repair. Plus, better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

So the handling issue was just alignment, rattles were heat shields, knocking was a drop link, EML was an air pump, ballast was under guarantee, and I resprayed the rocker cover. And now the car is once again turning heads.

I really get how you're feeling dude, and it's only because we both love our cars. But honestly, don't sell up just yet because you're sick of your car because you'll end up buying another car which is just going to be the same nature as the one you already have. Walk around the car, write down on a pad what's wrong with the car, spend a weekend fixing it and thank me later :)

Hope you'll change your mind.

Edited by geraintthomas

As people have said we have all been there :( im there too just replaced both cv boots, discs and pads, both trackrod arms ,and now ive got to have a radiator so my car is in bits waiting for the rad to turn up ready for thorsby show this sunday !!! BUT i would never sell :)

Hey thanx for the support and words of encouragement it's much appreciated :)

I do love the looks of the car and the noise and I know it's well over 20yrs and I keep letting monkeys work on it cavegod not included.

I have no choice but to sell my euro riser blocks so I can pay for the cv joint and fitting. I've already paid for the back brake plates so may aswel fit them to stop that rattle/scrape.

Change the gearbox oil for some good stuff rather than ecp crap that looked like chip oil and service the front calipers just before I go on holiday at the end of July.

Also need to sell my st182 rear struts as they are obv the wrong ones and purchase kazis 202 rear struts but I'm rapidly running out of cash and these jobs need doing before I go away.

21 year old car... inevitably going to need a decent amount of money spent on repairs at some point unfortunately. Weigh up the costs and compare to getting another car, just make sure you wouldn't regret giving up on your own. Think you've been unlucky that the part that was replaced only lasted 12 months though, usually replacements should last longer if the quality is good

Edited by alex282

Knowing when to give up on a car is always a difficult thing.especially with a Celica.allowing for the cars age and mileage what other "interesting" car can be run,modified and enjoyed as cheaply as a Celica? Perhaps this is part of the problem,better the devil you know syndrome.

Having owned several and inevitably sold some I've always viewed selling a Celica as a necessary step to buying the next one!

Knowing when to give up on a car is always a difficult thing.especially with a Celica.allowing for the cars age and mileage what other "interesting" car can be run,modified and enjoyed as cheaply as a Celica? Perhaps this is part of the problem,better the devil you know syndrome.

Having owned several and inevitably sold some I've always viewed selling a Celica as a necessary step to buying the next one!

Yep...agree with yer..!...finding another car that has the style, handling, presence, reliability etc..of a Celica...AND is affordable, is so bloody difficult,...which is why I could only ever see me replacing mine,.,,with another.!! :) .

Might...just might...consider a GT86 IF I win the lottery...not holding my breath on that one. :rolleyes:

Neil

Very wise words, I hate seeing a celica die. but knowing when enough is enough is vital.

even though a car is over 20 years old if they have been looked after properly through their life then you should have no trouble

Try and get those done in the same time space instead of spreading them out into weeks and weeks, then you'll get a better sense of progress :)

You keeping it?

Hey apologies for the delay it's been alot of contemplating but she is going...The engine is ticking what I feel is more and more and I've just lost the love for her.

I don't think I will be getting another gen 6 as my boss is supplying the cash and wants me to have a younger car so maybe something boring like a gold gti mk4 or something.

It will be a sad day for the girl but I will take an offer of a few hundred quid for her as she is mot'd till may next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.