Painting Advice?

My front lip is a stone chipped mess and I'm planning to repaint it soon and I am looking for some advice regarding how to paint it. It's already painted so I don't know the best way to go about it?

Sand it down fully so all the current paint is off then primer/paint as if it were new?

Sand it down partially to roughen up the surface and primer/paint it? (this is what I did with my wheels)

Or just clean it as much as possible to remove all wax/polish and spray over that with just the paint so it blends with the paint already there?

Any help would be great!

I guess it depends on the kind of result you are happy with, mate...I think it's a given that the best finish starts with the best preparation.!

Depending how bad it is I would go for route 1...at worst route 2.

Neil

Start with 1000 or 1200 and work down in 200's if you need to dependant on how deep the scratches and chips are you may not need to strip it right back with 400 or 200 then as fletch said filler primer and then use 2000 to smooth it out. Takes a while but it gives the best result overall.

To be honest tho it could be false economy mate. By the time you have bought all the sandpaper and for a lip you will need a fair amount, the primers, the paints, laquers etc you may as well have sent it to Stuart for a proper paint job. I'd guesstimate doing it properly you're looking at £10's worth of sandpaper, £40 of paint as storm blue is a special mix and you would more than likely need 2 cans, £20 in primer, £20 in laquer and that there is the cost of a pro paint job.

I have loads of bits left over from painting my wheels and centre console. An extra can of primer and some 2000 grit wet&dry and I'll be good to go so even with paint it'll cost me less than £50 to do.

I have a week off work soon so I'm more than happy to put the time into doing a good job with it. I enjoy doing too, it was really satisfying doing the wheels and centre console :)

Dont wet n dry between coast with anything too smooth or the paint will have nothing to key to.

Niall, as I am about to embark on my bumper repair would you recommend scuff pads to key it with

Niall, as I am about to embark on my bumper repair would you recommend scuff pads to key it with

I would start with 400/600ish wet n dry and use it dry, then go over it with scuff pads then a tack cloth! i used a rough grade scuff pads, it helps clean out all the dust etc, also you can try a platic prep spray, its like a clear watery spray that helps prepare plastic surfaces for spraying, a bonding agent. but thats for clean plastic not already painted plastic!.

Once its primered you can use 'maybe' 800 grit but i wouldnt go smoother until the lacquer, and only then if you need to if you are getting scratch marks from the wet n dry coming through. Its all a bit trial and error, it needs to be rough enogh to leave a good surface to key to, but not so rough as it leaves marks through the freshly sprayed paint. IMO You dont need to go super smooth until you are ready to polish the lacquer.

Also after the primer I would leave it for a week somewhere warm to dry out and fully cure, give it chance to settle before adding the colour coat.

I prepped my bumper this weekend with 400 grit and used it throughout until ready for colour, i will then move to 600 which i will continue to use until its lacquered

Thanks buddy. As you can see here this is the size of the task :lol:

154f1e6e581e91ba31024d81abf81997.jpg

196ba9c69e889a5291def794b15d3995.jpg

Lots of work methinks. Some right down to the plastic and some spiderwebbing. Just trying to save costs on going to the paint shop. If it fails I'll go anyways but worth trying first.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.