Would like to be a GT4 owner again

I couldn't tell you - but I love my 185!! I suppose it depends what your primary reason is - style or power (or both :) )

Quite a few have had both, so you will get some helpful comments!

Gen5 has the cooler body....Gen6 has the better power,PITA suspension though :lol:

Mind you ,should have kept your green 205 mate.... :nono: that was lovely :wub:

Gen5 has the cooler body....Gen6 has the better power,PITA suspension though :lol:

Mind you ,should have kept your green 205 mate.... :nono: that was lovely :wub:

please don't :( wish I never got rid of it!!........ its in Poland now.

But I will get another, but not sure weather a 205 or 185. I like the look of both, but always had Gen 6 Celica's, so a change could be good. But yeah I would miss the power from the ST205.

Quite a few on ebay at the moment and some really good ones too, not the usual stuff.

Would like to go for a UK spec ST205, but not many about. I know nothing about the engine in the 185, guessing quite similar to the 205?

is turbo air cooled in the 185?

temporary_zpskuxanr5e.jpg

temporary_zpsa52hnmzt.jpg

hard to beat the classic look of the gen 5 in any guise mate :D

Both look amazing next to each other. Love the rear end on the 6, but like the classic pop up headlights on the 5

The engine is very similar, obviously there's slightly less power and yes they are air cooled unless you get a hold of an RC or CS which both have the charge cooler set up. Power wise it wouldn't take much to get a 185 where the 205 is, the chassis is almost identical and almost all parts are interchangeable with the exception of the superstrut set up.

Edited by princy
  • Like 2

uk spec c/s /gt4 are 205 hp, jap spec 185 are 225. UK 205 are 245 and jap 255.

a 10quid boost control is all i need to get the extra 30 hp lol

my figures i think are correct, we will soon know lol

its one thing to mention the power difference between the 185 and the 205. btu the 205 is also lighter. anyone who has had to push a 185 knows all to well that 205-215hp is not enough to push nearly 1500kg of car.

the 205 is by far the best celica ever made. nothing even comes close to how they feel to drive.

I can assure you that you will not be happy with a standard 185 or even a standard CS/RC as you will want more power. they are also prone to a bit of the rustage, where as with a gen6 all thats really going to rust is the bottoms of the doors ;)

for the record I have owned and driven both and also driven standard and modified 185s :thumbs:

agree , though have the 185 (it wont be long before its back on the road again) the gen 6 is the best for performance/weight etc. I still remember the sight of Adex in my rear view mirror veins popping as we tried to bump start the 185 outside his place once,

I like mine for the smile factor, the pop ups and i dont need more performance than it has

if i was looking at a gen 6 this one i like

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/1341-celica-st205/

I own both, but my 205 is standard and the 185 was uprated & lowered suspension when I bought it.

For me, the 205 feels like an executive express, while the 185 feels like a sports car despite being slower in a straight line. I've also driven a friends RC version with a boost controller, also with uprated suspension. The RC/CS chargecooling is similar spec to the 205 and the ECU's are thus mapped with less safety margin so better power and ecconomy and then not far short of a 205 in both aspects.

Handling wise, the 185 is a bit more prone to understeer on tight corners with the extra weight at the front and without the superstrut geometry advantages. The difference isn't worth the extra problems of the SS on a road car though IMO.

The electric drivers seat in a 185 is the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in, way way nicer than the 205 seats.

• Like 1

ah yes, understeer :rolleyes:

i discovered i had this factory option last week while boosting off of a roundabout :angry: have read rave reviews about how the whiteline roll bar solves this. i have camber bolts here to try too

and another shout for the seats, gen 6 are horrid to sit in, no support. the lecky gen 5 seat is awesome, one of my favourite things about it i reckon. they are jdm only as far as im aware. easy to swap them in as lots have

at the end of the day it gets dark :lol:

serious but its your call mate, but will be the wrong call if you get a 205 :P

• Like 1

funny how everyone finds things different. having had several. its always the gen5 seats that give me lumbar pain. where as i can sit in a gen6 seat all day. yet i know people who are the complete opposite :D

• Like 1

Think i'll always be a 205 driver. i do love the classic looks of the Gen 5 and love the pop up lights, propper sports car touch!!

But I know the 205's inside out and I love the power and a few mods and I could easily increase it. But if I got for a 3rd GT4, think im going to look out for a late spec JDM like my old green one, even tho that was a 1996, it still had all the late spec upgrades, unless it was done by the previous owners.

a 10quid boost control is all i need to get the extra 30 hp lol

my figures i think are correct, we will soon know lol

Ugh not one of those shit valve things surely :doh:

UK 205 is 225, JDM is 255 I believe. JDM ECU is designed for different fuel and has EGR too

UK insurance is only group 17 though(!) and the difference between that and a JDM for a years insurance can be up to a grand

Insurance is a common myth as they can be insured for the same price at the right insurer

Also a jdm car only makes 255bhp in Japan, in the UK it will make the exact same power as a UK car.

Only reason to buy a jdm st205 imo is for the climate control. Otherwise they are identical

Insurance is a common myth as they can be insured for the same price at the right insurer

Also a jdm car only makes 255bhp in Japan, in the UK it will make the exact same power as a UK car.

Only reason to buy a jdm st205 imo is for the climate control. Otherwise they are identical

What insurer? Most of the main ones won't touch imports. Not the ones you can get online anyway. Facts to back up this statement?

Don't agree with any of that post tbh. JDM cars have different brakes, different ECU, different sump, EGR, and are restricted to 100 mph, probably loads of other stuff as well, thats just the things I've noticed, there is a difference in power between the two, the JDM doesn't automatically slow down to 225 bhp when you drive it off the boat lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.