R.I.P celica

Ok so today after work I tried to start the car and nothing after a few tests and head scratching the conclusion is head gasket has gone :( but with the car meaning to much to myself and the Mrs the option of breaking or scrapping isn't there which means it's now getting made into a project and the 7afe lump is being ripped out and replaced with a younger healthier engine.

So as of now the car is a project and money depending on when it sees a road again

Headgasket failure causing asudden non start if it was running fine earlier in the day would be a first in my lifetimes experience, unless it was overheating badly when it was parked up.

i suspect the problem is something else, may be worth going through symptoms and recent history on here for a second opinion.

• Like 1

I think he is using the excuse that it wont start as a good sound reason to rip out the avensis engine (which should never have been fitted to a celica in my opinion) and fit something more befitting. like a 3sge,2zzge or even a 1mz

I know some people disagree with me, bu i always recommend people to not look after an FE toyota engine, once they start acting up or burning oil you are best thrashing the life out of it until it dies ;)

good luck on your project and can't wait to see what you go with :D

The engine did over heat once a few weeks ago and last night there was a lot of pressure building up in the radiator when trying to start and then when I released the pressure there was a strong smell of exhaust fumes and when trying to start it with rad cap off all the pours out is smoke the exhaust was giving off a lot of grey white smoke so so that's why I have put it down to head gasket the plan now is a 2.0 gt engine

But then it means, ECU, gearbox, driveshafts, brakes. (possibly suspension) and then telling the insurance co with possibly paying more to insure a ST made up to GT spec costing more to insure than a standard GT.

Break the ST for spares. Transfer any favorite bits from your ST into a GT.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.