Wrote my Celica off, probably won't be replacing it

Sad news :(

Hope to see you in another one. I think id probably give the Gen5 a try if my TSport was ever written off.

I think a RWD MR2 is the last thing you should get given your driving in the wet though :P

Have you gone right through with the Confused quotes,dont forget the original price doesnt usually include hardly anything on the policy you will actually need.Its usually a lot more once you've added on bits.Don't forget we still have a Non Celica section if you go the MR2 route or something ;)

Sad news :(

Hope to see you in another one. I think id probably give the Gen5 a try if my TSport was ever written off.

I think a RWD MR2 is the last thing you should get given your driving in the wet though :P

you're not the first person to say that but I really wona give the MR2 a go as its what I wanted before I was pushed into the celica

Glad to see you walk away from this mate, very lucky by the sounds of it.

I said I wouldn't get another Celica after my 2nd one, bought my 4th one last week. Very addictive cars.

All the best to you

Glad you are OK pal.

Them pics brought back some horrible memories for me

Apart from they had to take roof off my astra coupe to get my ex out. But when all said and done these coupes are built well.

Again mate glad you walked away from it. That's the most important part.

Glad you walked away from that one, it does sound and look particularly nasty. So lucky too with s boot full of car parts too!

Crazy insurance quotes for another 140 celica, how do they stack up against the MR2 on comparison sites? I'd have thought the celica would be cheaper as its a lower group, with the 190's being the same as an MR2.

As an ex MK2 mr2 owner i can say they're a great car, and I'd get another one if the right one came up at the right time. Built the same era as the Gen6, lovely solid cabin, much fewer rattles than the 7. The 3S-GE is a cracking engine and certainly whet my appetite for high, N/A revs. Can't beat hearing the engine right behind your head either!

They make a very good tourer too, I never had any issues with boot space and the cabin is very isolated from road noise.

The handling was a learning curve for me, they reward smooth inputs, and can bite if your not careful, but overall it's s good chassis, offering good feedback and driving 'feel'. Tyres however are very important, I ran Toyo T1R's successfully in Sun, rain and snow, but it was nearly undriveable on the mixed brands it started out on.

Happy hunting!

Jeez-o , glad you're ok from that!

I had similar on the same day but a lot less dramatic -

IMG_2211_zpsvbqpiflb.jpg

IMG_2205_zpsih8gzkke.jpg

Looks like nothing, but the general jiggling of the panels means the chap doing the quote at the repair centre (had to go there as the other party was kind enough to call his insurer after we'd agreed to sort it between ourselves :brickwall: ) initially has estimated that it'll be uneconomical to repair. Still awaiting confirmation though.

Crazily enough i was looking at MKII's aswell - would love another as i had several in the past :thumbs:

Couple of decent ones up just now that are reasonable - R plate silver one has my attention ;)

Yours is barely scratched! Is it just the bumper?

It may be too late but the best course of action to me would simply be to source another bumper and switch them over, and then decide if you've lost interest in the car and sell on or keep it knowing it's been sorted out without getting a write off mark against it. Obviously keep a few photos of damage and repair in the interest of honesty with prospective buyers.

It's a sad fact that because the repair co will be wrongly valuing your car at around £1500, and will only quote for brand new original parts from toyota, plus whatever they charge for painting and blending to adjacent panels, it easy to see how so little can cause a 'write off' situation.

Going off topic a little, I'd have to go for a manual beams t-bar if I ever had another MR2, ultra rare though.

Edited by rich_p

All clips on headlight broke, hole in bumper, passenger wing pushed back, down and out, front panel pushed over towards driverside, hard to see in pics but it's all rather squidgy.

Stated it would need to be put on jig to be realigned properly and that's where the expense comes in long before the price of parts - was valued at a lot more than £1500 ;)

Just glad i had no unsecured car parts in the back as with my luck i would not have gotten away as lightly as Danny!

And yeah, a Beams MR2 is a dream machine - prefer a tin top though as it's not as wobbly as the T-Bar!!

Ah very deceiving pictures then, sounds a lot worse than they show. Sounds like your at least getting fairer valuations back, I naturally expect insurers to start at rock bottom and chance their luck.

I see the reasoning behind the tin top, and naturally so do the Japanese, as most T-bars are autos with tin tops being for the 'drivers' with manual boxes. I like to pose and drive at the same time, haha!

Glad you walked away from that one, it does sound and look particularly nasty. So lucky too with s boot full of car parts too!

Crazy insurance quotes for another 140 celica, how do they stack up against the MR2 on comparison sites? I'd have thought the celica would be cheaper as its a lower group, with the 190's being the same as an MR2.

As an ex MK2 mr2 owner i can say they're a great car, and I'd get another one if the right one came up at the right time. Built the same era as the Gen6, lovely solid cabin, much fewer rattles than the 7. The 3S-GE is a cracking engine and certainly whet my appetite for high, N/A revs. Can't beat hearing the engine right behind your head either!

They make a very good tourer too, I never had any issues with boot space and the cabin is very isolated from road noise.

The handling was a learning curve for me, they reward smooth inputs, and can bite if your not careful, but overall it's s good chassis, offering good feedback and driving 'feel'. Tyres however are very important, I ran Toyo T1R's successfully in Sun, rain and snow, but it was nearly undriveable on the mixed brands it started out on.

Happy hunting!

On comparison sites my quotes are coming back at around £900 for a celica and about £950 for an MR2

I've been looking at MK1 MX5's as well and they are coming back at around £2k

I know a few people who have run MR2's for quite some time and all have said do not scrimp on tyres so that is something I'll keep in mind

A sorry sight, but really glad you were unhurt.

+1 for good tyres on an MR2 - mine is a Mk3 but I was still sufficiently convinced to get new (same make all round) tyres.

Between my celica and mr2 i prefer driving the two, its more responsive, fun and handles far better than the celica, but for long drives the celica wins for comfort and ease.

£950 gor Mr2 i take it your young as mine is £147 a year fully comp.

I crashed my last 140 into a lamp post on a wet roundabout at around 10-15 mph and they wanted £7300 to repair it. First offer was £1500, 2nd offer was £1600, I emailed them valuations and other similar examples on the market then finally they offered £1800. They will try to keep you waiting in hope that you'll take their first offer so hold on until the 3rd one

If you want to keep the car it will be around 15% of the written off value

If you don't replace it with a celica make sure you wont regret it as its one of the best cars in the price range

PM'd you some insurance tips

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.