Neg camber after rear shock change.UPDATE. contact from seller :(

Dude thats some crazy camber ! Was going to say have some negative camber on mine since fitting coilovers, will take a pic to show....but yours beats me by a fair whack !

Spacers on wheels and take on Hondas ?

:)

Seriously, hope you sort it. Sure right shocks ?

Edited by digs

Sorry it was the two bolt holes that attach the strut to the hub that were the wrong distance from the strut itself. They were further out from the strut therefore the were pushing the top of the hub inwards giving the negative camber. Only way to fix it was fit the correct shocks. :thumbs:

At the end of the day if it was after you changed the shockers there isn't much that can go wrong. The top mount will only sit in one way and the give in the mounting holes are not enough to give the required amount of movement. Even if you were to fit them while pushing the hub inwards at the top they should still be within toyota's original spec.

That looks about the right amount of negative camber when you fit 185 struts to a 205, having done it on mine in an emergency.

The struts do look identical. that error over the height of the wheel only amounts to a mm or so at the 2 holes, hard to see the difference without careful measurement.

That looks about the right amount of negative camber when you fit 185 struts to a 205, having done it on mine in an emergency.

The struts do look identical. that error over the height of the wheel only amounts to a mm or so at the 2 holes, hard to see the difference without careful measurement.

This is what i found, i used a vernier in the end to measure them.

Ok so I've emailed the seller and here are the conversations.

Me:-

Hi, could you call me please regarding the purchased item as it's wrong but as I can't return them die to be already fitted. Thanx. Steve.

New message from: newtechnology2008 Top Rated Seller (9045Green Star)

Please send ...YOUR COMPLEET ENQUIRY WILL BE DEALT HERE ON EBAY by technical team...

we never get any complain ever....did you check the vehcile details before fitted...

send your complete enquiry with chassis and model/vin number....

as it says

THESE WILL NOT FIT IN

SUPER STRUT SUSPENSION MODELS

your model is with super strut suspension???

who fitted teh shocks....?? was it done by professional garage/mechanic???

as they already fitted they cannot be wrong>>>

thanks

It's not so much a complaint just a pass on of knowledge so here goes. My car is an St202 and had the McPherson strut suspension.

I had a professional garage local to me fit them and upon a side by side comparison they look almost identical but it's the 2 holes that connect the strut to the hub that are different by only a few mm. This is because the rear strut for the model before mine known as the st182 had the almost identical rear strut's but the holes are a few mm further back and that is the struts you have sent me.

The only way you can verify this for yourself is to get an St182 and an St 202 both rear McPherson struts side by side and then measure the distance of the 2 holes that connect the strut to hub and you will see there is a few mm difference which had caused my rear wheels to have 5cm negative camber both sides.

Last message from them to which I've not responded yet.

DEAR CUSTOMER,

Thanks for te information, frist of all because f the same reason we dont sell it for ST182....Even ST202 get camber after fitting these shocks....

it is universally recommended by toyota to do professional wheel alignment after fitting these rear shocks...it is common with these celica's...otherwwise it gives camber or caster.

read below:

http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/

(just information)

i hope your mechanic fitted these shocks while car was on ramp....which plays imortant role in getting camber as well.

(we never recommend to have DIY JOBS AND DIY MECHANICS...sorry as mostly they dont tell customer to MUST DO WHEEL ALIGNMENT AFTER FITTING THESE REAR SHOCKS)

thanks for information..

What a load if bo**ocks. The camber on the rear of the ST202 with Mcpherson strut is NOT adjustable therefore if the shocks 'give' camber then they are wrong. It is a shame you don't have the original shocks.

Sounds like the seller is dodgy AF anyway given the way they replied defensively immediately.

Edited by Ant Baker

To be honest yes i would say so, the only trouble is they have been fitted but you may aswell try.

Also i don't know why he is talking about caster as again that is completely fixed and can only change if you had knackered bushes.

Again i don't understand the comment about changing them on a ramp as you still have to jack the car up off of a ramp (unless wheels free which is technically jacking the car up anyway). The bloke has NO idea what he is talking about. I buy all my parts from motorfactors to avoid the trouble with ebay sellers and the returns system and most of the time they work out the same price anyway. :thumbs:

To be honest yes i would say so, the only trouble is they have been fitted but you may aswell try.

Also i don't know why he is talking about caster as again that is completely fixed and can only change if you had knackered bushes.

Again i don't understand the comment about changing them on a ramp as you still have to jack the car up off of a ramp (unless wheels free which is technically jacking the car up anyway). The bloke has NO idea what he is talking about. I buy all my parts from motorfactors to avoid the trouble with ebay sellers and the returns system and most of the time they work out the same price anyway. :thumbs:

I got the impression he was going to be awkward from the first message :( your right though and yes he is just trying to weadle out of it, I've asked for part numbers on the green 6 section so I can present them to him although eBay is dating that I'm outside the settlers returns time.

Suprised the 6 doesn't have camber adjustment - given the 5 and 7 do

Think my only option may be to bring the 2 strut to hub holes forward so as to straighten the wheels up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.