sanding. help needed.

Kazi

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this topic. knowing my luck more than likely not.

I'm needing to respray the rocker cover and inlet manifold on the beams as the paint is scratched. i was going to send them both to a local sprayer to get them properly done but in order to save some costs so i can get this build finished-ish and get the AE86 purchased I'm going to do it myself.

what I need help on is this.....

How does the Grit system work?

What number do you use first and last?

Do i need to use a different technique when sand plastic etc?

Lower the number the coarser the sandpaper is. You could probably start with a 600 and work your way up depending on how smooth you want it.

For plastic don't go too rough or you'll put grooves in it, use a sanding block and just 'key' it with 1200 and get some plastic primer on it.

I'd use etch primer on metal products.

electric drill with wire brush attachment in it then put the drill into a vice on full then just maneuver the rocker across it to strip the old paint off

I'd use a brass brush for this technique as a steel brush may score an aluminium rocker cover, unless you use a very light touch.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.