Rust to Rome - Team Go Nads!

Brumhee

I am pleased to confirm a message left on your other thread, by donations at the superb meet yesterday at Cheltenham & Prescott Hill Climb, members here have popped another £60 onto your just giving page. :D

GO Nads!!!

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I done a full so will give a run down of whats happened over the last few (very busy weeks).

A couple of months ago we thought we would give the cam belt a check over. What we found was a little worrying, the cam belt had a large slit across the belt. Needless to say if we wanted any chance of making it to Rome it had to be changed. Cam Belt ordered I drove up to Chris' one weekend so we could change it, as well as a few other jobs we had planned such as fitting the CB radio, putting the stickers on and other peripheral things.

What shouldn't have been a very long job ended up taking us 2 days!! Not one single bolt would want to come undone, and once again iTuned came to our rescue and lent us one hell of an Impact Gun. Those bolts had no chance against that monster!

We had marked up the Cam Pullys, the cam belt and the back plate. Everything was good to go, put the new belt on and I drove home on the Sunday night. Its was only the start of what was a frustrating few weekends (for Chris). On the drive home the car felt sluggish and slow. When driving at 30 the engine was hunting. I organised taking the car back up to Norwich the next weekend, I was off to Amsterdam - Chris was off to hell! Firstly Chris adjusted the timing, it was better but it wasn't right. If there's one thing Chris hates, it not being right :lol:

The cam belt had to be adjusted again, it needed to be right (for fuel costs alone). I got many frustrated messages from Chris over the next few days. I arranged to head up the following weekend. It was time to take the top of the engine and align the cams properly.

Easy solution normally, but oh no, not on Go Nad (she has been called many other names during this process, many cannot be repeated). Off comes the top and Chris starts looking at the cams, the anger growing as he does so. Soon an expletive laden rant explodes from Chris - the cams do not have the small cuts outs that are required to line them up. :brickwall:

We take some time and regroup. We need to find dead top, but that doesn't solve the problem with the cams. So we take a guess we line some bits up with other bits. Dead Top is found and the engine put back together again. We have Chris' old adjustable cams pulleys, hopefully all we will need to do is some fine tuning. The timing gun is attached, Chris has the car key and starts her up. She fires first time, the timing looks better but still not right, but all that is needed is some fine tuning. Saturday, I get the message I'd been waiting for - she's running smoother now. B)

We also now have an MOT. I'm off to Chris' this weekend to finish up a few more finer jobs - fitting a CB radio, hopefully these will go smoother.

I am aware that there are people who would like to meet us along the way. We have several stops that people can come see us. Firstly Edinburgh, then Nottingham, then Ace Cafe and finally Dover. I will post all the timings as soon as I get them to the thread Chris has started in the meetings section.

Finally, thank you to all CCUK members who have donated and arranged collections at meets. These are really appreciated by me and Chris, and just to re-iterate what Chris said, all money donated goes to Orchid, which really is an amazing charity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

CB is just screwed to the passenger side of center console. It's not pretty but it works.

We are nearly in Scotland now but the car has started to wobble through the steering under power :(

Chose a fine time to start that!

Here is a quick update as to Bills adventures so far with the Rust2Rome guys,

Photo8.jpg

Photo13.jpg

Photo11.jpg

Photo9.jpg

Photo12.jpg

Photo10.jpg

Photo15.jpg

After the closure of Calais yesterday, the guys had to find another way to get into France - by tunnel:

Photo7.jpg

And their travels down to the south of France today:

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo6.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo1.jpg

How'd that chicken get in there! :o:lol:

• Like 1

Lovely photos! I was going to say has Bill aquired a girlfriend?

Would it be possible for you to put the photos on the Dragon thread in Off Topic too? That will be a permanent reminder of his adventures over the years :D

Great pics guys. Is that the Foster bridge at Milau? I was last there 25 years ago, before it was built, on an XS1100 Yamaha. Happy days trying to order maggots to fish the river Tarn. Failed!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.