Rust to Rome - Team Go Nads!

Brumhee

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not checking in for a while guys.

We spent a day a few weeks ago at iTuned in Watton looking the car over and the good news is it doesn't look awful.

However we couldn't fit the exhaust due to a dodgy job thats been done to fit the current one meaning the centre pipe is unusable.

Chris has yet to sort his passport but should be doing it now!

Please donate any spare cash. Every little helps towards this great cause.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a session on the car at the weekend. A few checks and a few things to do for the MOT that's just around the corner. ...what can i say apart form we really should have looked at a few others before buying!!! :blink: Obviously its supposed to be a bit of a challenge and a sub £500 car isn't supposed to be perfect, BUT WOW!

Going back to my days of owning and playing about with my previous Gen6 and 3sge I was sure that after 100odd thousand miles it would still be bullet proof with the minimum of servicing. Sadly our R2R one seems to be a dog.

I'm still not sure where all the oil is coming from down the back of the engine but it doesn't seem to be the camshaft cover as I had hoped. The Cambelt had a 8-10mm split in it. Oil light is still on despite replacing the suspected sensor. I'm also pretty sure that the intake Camshaft is about 2 teeth advanced from the correct position.

Now hoping that the oil light is actually a dodgy level sensor and it's not a genuine oil pressure issue.

All good fun hey :rolleyes:

If anyone else would like to sponsor to make me feel a bit better about the impending brakedown (the car, not me) then PLEASE do. Details are a few posts up ;) Thanks CCUK peeps

I looked at one the other day mate that was over double the price you had to source this for and it had rust in the boot cambelt was way overdue and someone had bent all the sill seem where trying to jack it in the wrong place as well as a new handbrake cable supported with a shoelace, bonnet full of stonechips and it didn't drive well either the short distance I was allowed to test it so walked away, good luck with this guy's I hope you sort it all under budget

Yeah, I may have gone a bit OTT there. Was just a bit shocked that all the 'little' things I thought I was gonna sort out seem to be a bit more serious. Possibly more of a reflection on me than the car lol

To give it its dues it relatively rust free and the bits that aren't dented or chipped and pretty straight lol

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on the car. It now has a fresh MOT :)

Still quite a few things to look at before setting off (only 3 and a bit weeks left). My latest concern is the amount of play that seems to have developed in the diff, I'm wondering if this could be the cause of all the CV joint type noises I'm hearing.

She was a really pig to get through the emissions test so I'm now thinking the cam timing still isn't quite right as well.

• Like 1

It has been brought to my attention that we might not have made this clear from the outset. ALL the money donated is purely for the Orchid charity. The costs impliented in the trip are being covered by myself and Eddddddd.

The £2000 target is just a figure that we thought was attainable and we would love to raise that much for a very good cause.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.