Rust to Rome - Team Go Nads!

Brumhee

So what’s the deal?

Me and Chris (CrewCutChuck) will be driving from Edinburgh to Rome over a 4000 -4500 mile journey (we don’t have the exact route yet). We will be going through the middle of Paris, over the French Alps, take in the Millau Viaduct and through the Verdon Gorge.

All this in a car that costs less than £500 (including repairs)!

What car have you got?

We have purchased a Gen 6 Celica GT for £420. So far only the thermostat has been replaced at a cost of £12. We still have the CV Joint and Exhaust to sort out (the exhaust works but our hearing won’t if we keep it).

25q3gpu.jpg

2cymgwk.jpg

Why are you doing it?

We are raising money for Orchid http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk/

Orchid is a male cancer charity that supports men affected by Prostate, Testicular and Penile cancers. They push to raise awareness of male cancers to save lives through early diagnosis.

Over 43,000 men are diagnosed every year in the UK with testicular, prostate and penile cancer. Orchid is the UK’s leading charity working in the area of male-specific cancers. Established in 1996 by testicular cancer patient Colin Osborne, and the oncologist who saved his life, Professor Tim Oliver, the charity provides support to people affected by or interested in these cancers through funding a world-class research programme, awareness and education campaigns and a range of vital support services.

We are hoping to raise at least £2000 for this good cause.

How can I help?

AS always the best way to help us reach our target is by donating, our just giving page is here https://www.justgiving.com/go-nads.

Also please share this as widely as possible, the more people who know the more donations we hope to receive.

We also have a facebook page, much like this thread, we will keep this updated with our progress https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rust-2-Rome-Team-Go-Nads/824657470915690 again please like our page and share it.

We also hope to hold more raffles for the club, much like the one held at the new year party which raised £122 through your generosity.

Finally thank you for you support and be sure to keep dropping in, to check out our progress.

As mentioned we had to change the thermostat on the car, something told us this wouldn't quite be up to the job!

1juao2.jpg

This was the first thing I had ever changed on a car that wasn't a wheel or a wiper blade. This is going to be a steep learning curve for me, but hopefully with Chris, it will be fairly painless :lol:

Edited by Brumhee

i think thats what they call a "low temp racing thermostat" :lol: doesnt look accidental to me that one. so i hope you are getting some miles on it before you go just to find out if there is any under lying problems with the car.

but good luck with the trip. :)

• Like 1

If the exhaust noise is down to an unbunged 4.5" pipe I have just the bung which you can borrow for nowt.

Its just some crap Halfords job I think. A new exhaust will do it some good hopefully.

I'm planning to take her to work a few times which is a 120 mile round trip which will hopefully show theres no further issues.

Great cause and a great journey.

Back in 2007 I took my Gen6 GT4 from just north of Edin to Palma in northern Italy (picking up a few other members on route) for the Pan Euro Celica Meet so its well possible in Celica so long as its in good repair. I took along things like spare fan belts etc just in case but you could always make sure all that is in decent order before you head off. Check the timing belt isn't needing doing etc.

• Like 1

Money from the party has now been donated via Bryan on the Just Giving page - thanks again everyone who purchased a raffle ticket at the party.

Keep an eye on the club over the next few months - may be a few more raffles etc going on to help raise a few pennies

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.