Carbon Fibre Bonnet and Painting

digs

Maybe this should be in another section, not sure.

Anyway.....

question out to the club :)

I have recently purchased a second hand carbon fibre bonnet for my gen 6. Main reasons for buying was a lot lighter than the heavy stock, and vented, which is what I wanted.

It's not in brilliant condition, but not enough for me to care that much, my car isn't so much about perfection to be honest.

however - white car - am I stupid to consider painting it white, or keep it carbon fibre ? Mixed options myself, probably leave it, just fancied asking the collective :D

Put it on unpainted and see if you like it / can put up with it.

If not, remove and apply 040 :)

ha, yeah let's face it that's the obvious solution that I errr obviously errr considered. :D

anyone painted their's ?

Black car and I wouldn't hesistate to keep it carbon fibre. Did look good on 25ths car, but he has other carbon bits which complement which I don't. Might be jarring on purely white car.

Or could cover it in white carbon fibre wrap ???

Well....

more I look it the more bits I see lol ! clearcoat seems to have rubbed away in a few areas which is more of an issue (but not really, see below), some scuff and light scratches so will give it a good polish and see, cheers :)

condition to be honest is not my big concern, some like their cars mint, I am less bothered with that :) Just pretend it's "drift" damage lol.

But there is some damage around the vent I have discovered, where the frame has split from the top layer. Will need to bond them back together and tidy that whole area up, fixable but will need to sort that out first now :)

Some may think im crazy, im probably am a little. But much like your self i brought my bonnet new because of the style, vents and weight reduction

Personally im not a fan of the carbon look. Later in the year i will be going for a complete respray and that goes for the bonnet too. The top clear UV protection coat will have to be removed before the spraying begins

Not mad lol :)

When I finally get my MacBook fixed, think I will photoshop some part painted looks to see. In terms of best/worst bits, the Middle would be the painted bit and the outside carbon ! Will give it a photoshop though just to see :)

You not seen my car! My old triple vented bonnet and. My tailgate are both carbon fibre. And all painted white. The twin stripe design came about as I wanted them left carbon. So only up close could you see what it really is. Also the tailgate I have the whole number plate surround recess left carbon.

Link to my mod thread is in my signature. :thumbs:

Ahh, and I do like your car, didn't realise it was carbon, looks good :) swayed me somewhat....as being told I would look a bit like a cardiff taxi (black cars with white bonnets!).

Pay day will get some rattle cans then maybe! Liking the idea of some aspect still showing the carbon fibre, will play around with what might look good :) and isn't exactly the same as others!

I'll rattle can it, front and rear bumper are so far done in the same way! and the wheels. not glossy enough, but will do until somepoint when I can justify spraying everything properly.

Which will be god knows when!

I'm in the same boat for when I come round to popping mine on. I'm either wanting to get it re lacquered or get it painted. but I'm still wanting to see the weave of carbon through it... don't want it look like a bad boy bonnet from a corsa lol. lacquer is a bit dodge on it as you can see from the pic lol. knew that before i got it right enough.

4AE98C83-3182-4F9E-9F34-0AB180C22FB7_zps

Edited by Kazi

I think kazi, you can get away with just having carbon bonnet as your celica is red.

Its a shame to spray over the carbon as i know it would be still light in weight and you have the scoop etc but spraying over the weave makes me uncomfortable.

But will look nice either way mate.

Was going to say to kazi, red and black will work I reckon :)

agree jas on needing more carbon bits to make it work on a white car - still thinking maybe a white wrap, not permanent then - White carbon weave wrap look a bit odd ? As I quite like that idea...

Or....

Some kind of white vinyl pattern in the bonnet to make it somehow work - just fixed my Mac so can photoshop again at last !

My sunstrip and centre console are wrapped in 3M White carbon. Alright but doesn't really look like genuine carbon obviously. I am one for real or nothing. So went with painted, to keep with white car, but little bit showing so people can see in the details that it's actually something a bit more special.

Also with white cars, carbon full panels from afar look like pattern replacement panels. Looks shitty. Which is why I always wanted mine painted.

You can buy white carbon/fibreglass mix weave cloth. I want my new custom bumper moulded and built from it eventually. Depending how well it turns out. That would be pretty epic.

may get a tester amount just to put a strip down and see (and yeah, can remove as needed)- will also check your thread out more splinter.

You can buy white carbon/fibreglass mix weave cloth. I want my new custom bumper moulded and built from it eventually. Depending how well it turns out. That would be pretty epic.

that DOES sounds frikkin epic :D You and 25th need a bit of a 6th gen 7th gen white machine stand off :) my 2 favourite cars visually

I'll just be the scruffy white one out accelerating you both :sofa:

Edited by digs
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.