Wrapping tips

sonic

No I ain't on about becoming the next emenem :)

I have done some wrapping before but the faff is being a bit naughty , the gear surround I can't get the recess to stick ( where gator comes thru )!

I originally wrapped the top , then heated up the wrap and pushed it thru the hole , but the edges come unstuck , is it best to start in the recess and then finish the top or use 2 bits of wrap and cover the recess separately ?

Edited by sonic

Im no expert at wrapping unless its prezzies :xmas_smile: Birthday hint hint.

What Tony suggests is not to trim the edges to close leave more on and stick to underside. Isnt pretty but no one sees it. One of mine I did was brilliant for a couple of weeks untill the heater blower decided to alter it, but am sure a better quality wrap may have survived. :xmas_smile:

I had a few attempts in wrapping but the results were terrible too. I had difficultied just like sonic in wrapping the lower part of the centre console and then I decided that it's not for me. It's easier and not very expensive to hydrodip. You can either do it yourself (ebay kits) or find a company that does it (there are plenty around) and it also looks better than a wrap.

My only beef with hydro dip is bubbles coming thru when the sun comes out

This is my centre console , gauges where vents used to be , turbo timer where the clock used to be and start button when hazard switch used to be , all been modified to fit , fibreglassed , filled and sprayed.

post-14510-0-16650100-1419265189_thumb.jpg

After a week the paint all bubbled up hence the wrapping , going to redo the console again , but it's the gear surround causing me grief

Never heard of hydro dip bubbling (it doesn't mean its impossible) but I heard about wrapping bubbling in the sun843eb44a35ec1b2d9eadccbfc527fa2d.jpg

I have a carbon fibre "skin" on mine that covers most of the trim. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it.

6a6108e863f425d213c001a8e7ead3dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bubbling would be the laquer , not the actual hydro dip stuff , got a week off as of tonight , so plenty of time to get it right

Never heard of hydro dip bubbling (it doesn't mean its impossible) but I heard about wrapping bubbling in the sun843eb44a35ec1b2d9eadccbfc527fa2d.jpgI have a carbon fibre "skin" on mine that covers most of the trim. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it.6a6108e863f425d213c001a8e7ead3dd.jpgSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic

• Like 1

Common mistake when ppl wrap interior which has sunken edges and corners are that they just sink in and cut to the edge.

In most cases, wrapping it round the back in some corners like the stereo din corners is that it over stretch and wont stick on the back.

The trick is to cut it so it has tabs and you fold the tabs back and anchor them down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.