condensation.

jay

Hi guys, I have a big problem with condensation in my vert, was hopeing it wouldn't be too bad as this is my only car at the moment, but can't see me getting through the winter. Any tips on how to maybe lessen the condensation? I don't have a garage so car is sitting on the drive in all weathers unfortunately. Any help gratefully received. Lol.

Hiya

Sounds like you have some water ingress

Checked carpets are dry, including under front seats?

Boot wheelwell

Open hatch door on left handside of boot panels, where the ariel is. Reach down and see if there is a collection of water in there, its common on all gen 6's not just verts. feel for a rubber pipe that should be feeding to outside but may have become detatched.

Next is check the hood cover behind the rear seat, is this holding water?

This then gets a bit more but is worth it if find you have a problem

Remove rear seats and side panels

this is where you may find you have water collected under the rear seat cushion (be careful not to knock/pinch wires to the fuel pump)

Check for water in the recesses either side behind those panels, the drainage points may and quite possibly are blocked

Also remove any bottles of liquid in the car

Something with some cat litter (crystal type) bicarb of soda or a couple of the dehumidifier boxes designed for cupboards, homebase etc

Frustrating :(

• Like 1

are there any drain holes for the roof on the 6 - I know my mr2 - the drains were blocked as they were on my mx5 which caused lots of dampness, they were in the corners on both cars behind front seats - but yours maybe behind rear seats - they were hidden under gunk

Another tip that I feel applies to all cars - whether or not they have leaky bits! We all tend to drive around with windows up in hot humid cars in winter - the humidity introduced via damp jackets or, if driving for any length of time, the moisture we breathe out. Depending on various factors, we can lose about 20 ml of water per hour on average, which contributes to that warm, 'fuggy' feel in a car. When parked (especially overnight when it's cold), that high humidity air in the car condenses out on the inside of the windows as the air inside cools and the outside temp drops. Once when it was very cold, I had a sheet of frost inside the screen as well as outside.

Solution - For the last 2 or 3 minutes of my journey, I open the windows (front and back when in other cars) to blast the humid air out!

If you have other leaky problems - this won't be enough!

• Like 1

I used to run Porsches and they tended to get laid up for the Winter, I used a room dehumidifier to keep the interior dry obviously with a mains supply but remember if you leave it for more than a few days it is best to get one with a piped condensation outlet (piped to the outside) or the reservoir overflows and soaks the car, ask me how I know this!!

I used to run Porsches and they tended to get laid up for the Winter, I used a room dehumidifier to keep the interior dry obviously with a mains supply but remember if you leave it for more than a few days it is best to get one with a piped condensation outlet (piped to the outside) or the reservoir overflows and soaks the car, ask me how I know this!!

:lol:

Mine usually sits under a cover for the winter outside, a couple of dishes with a bit of bicarb of soda in but usually no problems anyway.

My neighbour put her classic mini into a metal portacabin on the farm and left it there all winter, should have seen the interior when they pulled it out of there :o everything was covered in mould to their horror.

This year i moved, my landlord is a gem he has offered to make space in the corner of one of the industrial units here :)

2 bags of 100% silica kitty litter left in lunchboxes with pantyhose covering the lids worked a treat in my Gen 7. Then, I decided to lift the spare wheel and discover that there was a pond in there! punch the grommets through and drain the water! I guess if you can't find the leak, you might as well deal with the consequences every few months.

Thanks guys will try the bean bags, have to wait for my son to take out back seats to check but don't seem to have wet carpets. Although in general it feel damp in all parts of the car. Roof need proofing but again I have to wait for one of the lads to have time to do it . Last thing I want is for it to go mouldy. May try short cover for it may have a slight problem with window on drivers door not quite fitting properly. Thank you all for taking time to answer my query.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.