Who is the average Celica Owner?

DannyScene

Interesting thread. I'm 47. I work in local government at a senior level. My professional background is in environment, conservation and planning, so I am an unlikely petrolhead. No real interest in cars until I clicked on my gen 5 on EBay because it reminded me of being younger. Although I had actually been at work for two years when my car first hit the road in 1993.

I have a total lack of mechanical skills, although I am gradually doing more work on the car myself. I am highly organised at home and work and one of the reasons I like the CELICA is that it is one of the few things in my life that is a bit quirky, different, a bit unpredictable.

Working in a Distribution warehouse for Waitrose,,after over 10 years in the paper industry.Always been into cars,Fords as a youth mostly,Alfa Romeo bit later on,was looking for a project car in a budget but a bit old skool when the Celica cropped up.Always liked the 4th/5th gen type cars,(rallying viewing from the 80s/90s),old mans friend had owned one back in the day as a new car,so was an ideal situation for me.Lots of car for the money and looks good .. oh yeah im 43.

Not sure where I fit in being a 40 year old chef??? But I am a complete Hoonigan..lol

Had loads of hot hatches fords, Vw, peugeot etc, from mildly modded to mad stuff.

My dad was a pro rally driver during the 60s, so it must be from him.

Did have a 300+ bhp impreza before the celica. It's got to be about the rally cars from the 80s and 90s.

Got the celica on the spur of the moment and although there's no 4 wheel drive and no Turbo it's a fun car to chuck around (after sorting the suspension and brakes)!!!!!

I'm 23 and I am an IT Trainer, I have had 4 Celicas (5 if you include one I bought up to try fix). Have been driving Hyundai Coupes before then, bought my first Celica as have always loved the look of them and it was the fastest thing I could insure at the time, so as soon as I could, I did :) My ST205 was by far the most troublesome Celica I owned but also the best due to the brute power :D

The funny thing is if you saw me in the street you probably would never think I was a massive petrol head and work on cars constantly on my drive. I have no idea where my love for cars came from, my dad couldn't care less about cars and most of my friends either don't drive or don't own a car. I have to admit the Celica has served me well but I am looking for something faster now.

Oh and I live in the land of lift :)

Edited by supersai101

I'm a qualified hairdresser, ex motorcaravan fitter, over the last few years manager in retail and er older than i want to be

gen 7 ? nah

other gen 6 verts i've seen driven by similar age ladies, though not as modded or noisy.....

but then i have the 185 ........... :twisted:

It all started with seeing a 1.8 ST on ebay when was looking for a cheapie after the then current car had failed its mot miserably, found this place and got the bug after realizing what a reliable fun car it was

middle aged, quite well presented, probably quite interested in cars but more how they look than anything else, I think they would work in an office environment just below middle management maybe HR or sales/tech support and probably never goes near the redline, is happy to tell friends/colleagues how sporty their car is but have never driven it in such a way to find out or get the most from it.

This pretty much describes me :lol: although I am probably classified as middle management, and have been known to hit the redline on occasion ;)

I am interested in cars in general - in my family, it was difficult not to be - my dad was a mechanic who competed in various motorsports over the years (autocross in the 60s, pre-65 trials bike riding in the 80s, historic rallying in the 90s and hillclimbs in the 00s). As well as being very involved with car clubs/shows. So it wasn't really an option not to be around cars :rolleyes:

I wasn't able to have anything 'special' in the way of cars myself until recently, because practicality had to take precedence - mainly the ability to carry up to 4 dogs :rolleyes:

However, now my OH has the practical cars (people carrier and 4x4) I can have what I like :D

Is it just me or is there a large South Walian contingent on here?

There do seem to be quite a few.

I'm not Welsh by birth; I moved here around 2 years ago. I'm a Bristolian (my luvver :P )

I'm 31 and work for Lidl. I got my Gen 7 last year after 12 years of completely boring looking cars (early Micra, mid 90's Fiesta and a 98 Astra).

3 years ago we moved house and decided that we needed a second car to get the kids to school. At the time my wife was happy taking the Astra and I was pretty much certainly going to get an Alfa 147 and id have been happy with that as I liked how they look, especially compared to that big silver box on wheels that was the Vauxhall.

2 days before I went to buy one my wife decided that she didn't want the Astra and wanted the new car herself. I sulked for a bit, we ended up getting a Focus and agreed id swap my car next year.

The Focus served as a good family car so I decided I didn't have to be quite so practical with my car choice as long as I wasn't getting a two seater. I looked at quite a few cars (including a Gen 6 now I think back) but then I discovered that Gen 7's could be bought for around £1500. My mind was made up then. I looked at FTO's briefly and then Alfa GT's but I quickly reverted back to the Gen 7.

A year passed but we had decided to get married so I had to wait another year in the end but it was worth it :D

34 and tech support.

Have a mk3 1995 fiesta is, brill car which I rev up to its limited around 6900rpm.

Iv always loved high rpm natural aspirated engines.

I never went out actively looking for a new car but had my eyes on civic type R's.

My brother is a car trader and one day he brought home the celica and made a big fuss over it since it was a 190 and 8 years ago he had a 140 which was OK but it was nothing special to me since Hondas were the rage back then.

So I took the 190 for a spin and whoa it blew me away, the handling was amazing from the get go and the low seating position was great but when I got it onto the dual carriage way and I floored it in 2nd gear it hit 6200rpm and oh my got it got a kick up the ass all the way to the limiter.

Its nothing like honda VTEC which is a flat torque curve, the 2zz actually steps up and has a drastic cam change over feel.

The car sold itself to me in that instance.

I weighed up the options an integra would be more expensive to buy and the celica was fully loaded.

The chain driven engine ment no cambelt change costs so running costs were low, leathers and full main dealer service history were the icing on the cake.

With the future of cars being small capacity turbo charged motors and electric engines I saw this as an opportunity to have a high revving engine now because they won't make them like this any more.

And I prefer front wheel drive too.

I don't use lift much since I do mostly short journeys but on the rare occasion I do it really does feel like I'm rewarded for revving it high.

Great value for money car.

And now with the baby I'm still happy since the britax evolva 123 seat fits brill

I'm 34 and have a g6 ss111, I've always had bikes the last being a kawasaki zx7r ninja and only passed my car test when i was 28, my first car was a ss1 which i got for a bargain and was pointed to this site when getting spare parts off biggy, i had to sell it when the family grew due to the other half moaning about the practicality of the celica and a new born, that didn't last long before I got bored of driving a mondeo and got my current celica which my 3 yr old son loves so we won on that front!!

And I'm a self employed skilled labouror

38, security officer in obscure govt. department

What's that then MI5, Mi6, GCHQ or something even more secret?

Security Officer? Regular trips to North Korea? Occasional business meetings in the Middle East.

Slight bulge under armpit of jacket? Lots of gadgets?

What's that then MI5, Mi6, GCHQ or something even more secret?

Security Officer? Regular trips to North Korea? Occasional business meetings in the Middle East.

Slight bulge under armpit of jacket? Lots of gadgets?

Car Park attendant at Town Hall Car Park ;)

• Like 1

23 work in retail for now .. Lol

Been into cars since I was kid and watched top gear like it was the only thing on telly lol I Owned a mrk3 Mondeo before the celica and after owning that decided I wanted to have something sporty originally wanted a mx5 but after seeing a lot of them an 3months searching I stumbled on the gen7 and iv loved owning mine since tho wish I joined this site before hand as then I would have known about the 2zz lol ,

I agree with Grey Racer in part, but probably not an average driver for any car.

You see men and women of all types and ages drive many cars, from Ferraris to Vauxhall Novas.

this is good - a car should not be for one type of person.

I've had 32 cars in my time from a mini traveller to an Austin Healey 3000, Cortina 1600E, Toyota Prius, Mondeo and now the Celica -

which I have to say, is one of the smoothest, most solid cars I've driven; it's not fast-fast, but it's fast enough for me - my reflexes aren't what they used to be!!

Mostly middle aged men here in gloucestershire. That, or veteran ladies in an act of defiance... NAY to the bus pass!

In my case, average is a 28 year old Nuclear Engineer - Always bought the celica as one of my first cars in Gran Turismo/Forza/Need For Speed, and I guess I wanted my teenage dreams to materialise for a not a lot of money. There's 2 other thunder grey 190's in the work car park, and I'll say that the owners are aged between 25 and 40.

Initially, I wanted a car with an engine I'm familiar with; high-revving IL4, due to the fact that I was used to japanese IL4 sportsbikes - Various Kawasaki Ninjas and a Honda Fireblade.

Edited by The Tot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.