Who is the average Celica Owner?

DannyScene

This thread will probably fall flat on its arse but here we go

So I've had my celica Gen 7 for a number of months now and have seen quite a wide range of people driving them, this interests me as I think most cars have an almost predefined customer/owner, for example if I see a Micra I think ahh old woman or takeaway driver and usually I am right

This is what I think the average Gen 7 owner is like based on the people I have seen driving them: middle aged, quite well presented, probably quite interested in cars but more how they look than anything else, I think they would work in an office environment just below middle management maybe HR or sales/tech support and probably never goes near the redline, is happy to tell friends/colleagues how sporty their car is but have never driven it in such a way to find out or get the most from it.

In fact apart from JAE I don't think I've seen anyone under about 35 driving a Celica in the wild?

Now I know there are obviously some exceptions to the rule on here (most of us in fact) but It'd be interesting to see what demographic of owners we have on here:

I'll start

I'm 24, have loved cars since I was about 9, I work in an office providing service delivery and pre sales to a number of UK based and international customers on bespoke mobile technology

Round our way it's Middle aged ladies driving bog standard silver or lagoon blue 140's that they have had for years and years

BTW I work in HR :lol;

Edited by Cravo
  • Like 2

im a pretty average 37 yo petrolhead back in my youth i always had someting sporty then had to get something sensible as the family came along :) i had a few projects the last 12 odd years but never had the chance to complete them. We have the 5 4 years now and i was looking another classic just before the missus bought it, i wanted an mk 2 Scort turbo but when i seen the 5 i was instantly smitten by the good old rally looks that i remember from my youth. My wrx is a looong term project, was grade 4.5 many years ago on import and has hardly seen daylight over here and wont for a few years yet.

the Celica is not my favourite ive owned, that wood be my old 87 mazda 323 4x4 turbo uk spec.

:)

• Like 3

My dad and brothers all had an interest in cars and modifying. This was one of about 3 cars under £5k that I could look at for more than 5 seconds without getting bored! Was also a little quicker than my old 1.4 Polo but not so quick I'd get shafted by insurance prices.

If it helps, I'm also 24 and a web designer/developer.

• Like 1

24, Danny.??...I've got socks older than you,.! :)

Perhaps the "average" alters regionally.?...around here there ain't that many Celicas..so it's hard to define an average,

I'm retired (make of that what you will..but we ain't all on zimmers and prozac..lol) but I ain't that old that I don't enjoy a stylish, driver's car.!...something that's different from the normal boring euro boxes and simply spanks most of them on many levels. I do give it some wellie too.! (in the appropriate places of course. ;) )

I've been a petrol head for many, many years (from a family of petrol heads)..I've been in the trade and had some exotica in the past.!!!..but the Celica is one of the best cars I've had.

In my book, anyone who drives a Celi (whichever generation) simply has good taste..irrelevant of their age, gender or profession.

Neil

• Like 3

My demograph would be 61 year old greyracers who wont give up any tarmac space to younger divers. Owns other cars but enjoys driving the Celica to the max it will give. Has a slight tendency to road rage due to the number of incompetent drivers out there who should not be sharing the same roads as his Celica is on.

• Like 6

I'd say the average owner would be in their fifties, lives on the South coast, drives a T Sport, knew nothing about moddin' till they discovered CCUK, now going through their second childhood, regularly swallows a dictionary, and falls asleep in public.

• Like 5

I'd say the average owner would be in their fifties, lives on the South coast, drives a T Sport, knew nothing about moddin' till they discovered CCUK, now going through their second childhood, regularly swallows a dictionary, and falls asleep in public.

LOL...now I wonder who that can be.?...but I'm somehow seeing storm blue.! :rolleyes:

Neil

When I was working in the 90's I lusted after a Celica but work, family and lack of money prevented me from fulfilling my dream.

My wife suggested I buy a Celica for my 70th birthday and I have never regreted her idea. I love my car and hope to keep it until I can no longer drive. Everytime I look at it I smile like a cheshire cat and when I drive it I am in heaven. In nearly three years of ownership its never missed a beat and only cost me two new tyres and a battery.

• Like 6

When I was working in the 90's I lusted after a Celica but work, family and lack of money prevented me from fulfilling my dream.

My wife suggested I buy a Celica for my 70th birthday and I have never regreted her idea. I love my car and hope to keep it until I can no longer drive. Everytime I look at it I smile like a cheshire cat and when I drive it I am in heaven. In nearly three years of ownership its never missed a beat and only cost me two new tyres and a battery.

Good for you, John...long may yer wheels turn.!

It's good to see us more..ahem..senior of citizens, getting as much joy from our Celicas as the younger bucks.!

Neil

"middle aged, quite well presented, probably quite interested in cars but more how they look than anything else, I think they would work in an office environment just below middle management maybe HR or sales/tech support and probably never goes near the redline, is happy to tell friends/colleagues how sporty their car is but have never driven it in such a way to find out or get the most from it."

HA - that's pretty much spot on for me right until you get to "never goes near the redline etc etc" - 37yrs old (Not middle aged yet!), loves tinkering with car's & bikes, IT professional working in an office however.........lives in the higher rev range and knocks on the door of the redline just to make the journey to work more interesting (long live lift!), does track days (car and bike) and occasionally likes to remind colleagues that my 'old' car is actually driven how the manufacturer designed it (why put lift so high up otherwise?) and has to replace worn tyres every 6 months (or that's how it seems)! :lol:

Kind of a subjective question though I guess as some people are sold on a car purely on it looks, others on performance and others on economy - the Celica (certainly the Gen7) has all of these hence a broad spectrum of appeal IMO.

me im 37 and only went to the darkside (jap) as i was a vauxhall /ford guy and the tsport has been the best car to date .i wanted something that had a bit of punch , economical and to easiish o modify , ive owned mine for just over two years and have loved every minute of it :

my previous car was a petrol guzzling v6 and it lasted me a good 5+ years but i just wanted to have a change .

this forum is a very good community so far and are always friendly and have met a few guys at a few meets as well.

im a warehouseman /forkie /van driver and i dabble in computers as well and have worked for a computer software company in newbury for the last 14 years ....

• Like 1

Would agree the Celica is in reality a pretty coupe, with room for four and luggage, moderately quick with good handling for front wheel drive. Nice to drive but unfortunately quite popular so not so rare, but after all it was only a mass produced coupe from Toyota. Not knocking it just saying what I feel, having said that I do like it and the way it makes you feel and it took me 9 months to decide what to replace my Porsches with and the choice was the Celica so it must do something for me that the other options didn't.

Think for me it was the reasonable performance coupled to lightweight, pretty looks and it being a coupe that sold it to me, don't mind modifications if that's your thing but for me all I want is for it to be a little better than Toyota intended, so just had it lowered and will fit spacers, changed the head unit and gear knob but for me that's probably it other than keep it clean and tidy.

Generally driven gently with the occasional use of lift but for me if I want to go quick I will take the bike out.

Oh and just to fit the demographic (or not) 53 years old (last 14 years a Porsche owner) numerous hot hatches up to mid 30s with a mk1 MR2 thrown in for fun, senior management position of a major global engineering and consultancy company working in Information Risk and Compliance

• Like 1

Don't work in an office been in retail for past 20 years , car often hits lift and the red line and has more OEM mods on it than the average Yorkshire owner out there. Oh btw I'm nearly 40

Had the 140 originally bought it not long after seeing the fast n the furious lol , then seeing 2 fast 2 furious and noticing 2 Celicas having a sound off featured in the movie escalated my modding bug the 140 was replica bits where as the tsport is all original TRD parts

I'm 54 & have spent the last 30 odd years buying & driving family friendly 4 door cars, due to the fact of having 2 kids( now grown up) & 5 grandkids( NOT so grown up). This is the first car I've bought PURELY for me & I have to say, it rocks my world. Bonus is, the grandkids (and the wife!) love it too so happy days.

I work in Logistics for a Bosch Group company, btw, certainly not an office & the Celi gets driven like she should. I look at the redline as a guide on when to change gear!! :D

Edited by skatz114

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.