Gen 7 vs gen 6 GT

So lately I've been thinking I actually prefer the gen 6s I've had in the past to the gen 7 I have now,which made me think about maybe selling and going back to a gen 6,but then I thought would that be a mad thing to do,going from a 56 plate back to say a 98 St202?

I've always really kinda perfered the look of the older cars and think there better built than today's stuff,just not sure if it would be a bad move,main worry would be rust and rusty petrol tanks etc on the 6,what's people thoughts on the two compared.

I understand what you're saying about the gen 6's. I had an st205 gt4 and it did feel really well built and they do look really nice. A gen 6 gt wouldn't be as fast or handle as sweet as your gen 7 gt though. The thing is they are soo cheap couldn't you buy one as well? It's been on my mind too. I've seen some really nice gen 6's recently but I wouldn't sell my 7 for one it would have to be one of each! :)

Edited by teegt4

Couldn't really afford to buy one and have both tbh,it's either one or the other,my gen 7 has only done 32k miles that's what makes me wanna keep it,but I feel like I had more fun in the gen 6,that 2.0 engine is much better than the 1.8 and the long gear ratios in the 6

Another reason could be that my last gen 6 was heavy with mods and this car is pretty much standard,maybe it needs some more mods for me to enjoy it more

Edited by looney

I'm currently thinking the opposite, selling my 6 and getting a 7.

I actual prefer the look of the 6 but I wouldn't mind something a bit newer and lower miles.

But I've done so much to my 6 it's hard to part with it. As you mention fuel tanks can rust and leak like mine did a few months back but all was sorted for £160. Fuel filler pipes always end up corroding and leaking but are a cheap part to replace plus bottom of the doors rust.

I do love the look of a modded 7 though! Lol I was no help was I! I'm as confused as you :-[

Anybody with rust concerns over a gen 6.

..what about an import car? This countries climate and road salt is the big cause of rust.my experience of imports is apart from the insurance companies extra hand in your pocket their normally a lot better condition than uk cars.something to think about.

tbh, ive seen loads of gen 6 celicas for breaking/parts etc and hardly any of them had any rust.

Ive never owned one with rusty doors etc.

As mine is a beams, its engine is better than a gen 7 190, better made and as mentioned as its an import, solid as a rock.

the gen 6 was over engineered so unless you buy a unloved one, its unlikely to let you down more than a newer gen 7.

Gen 7 isnt exactly young either is it :lol:

The two gen 6s I had both the fuel tanks went,but other than that I can't fault them,both did 200k miles and were still running sweet,I think a modded nice gen 6 does have the edge on looks wise,I don't know,part of me thinks I'd be a but crazy going from a 56 plate to a 98,but I know how good they are.

Don't know, never owned a 7. 6s have a touch of the crazy about them though, they want to be 90s rock rave loon bins in my opinion.

7s look nice and all, definetly. 6s have the mojo though.... :)

7s enjoy a pint and a laugh, 6s smoke crack and start fights with gorillas.

Non-biased opinion.

Edited by digs
  • Like 3

ah not sure what to do tbh,mine is a really sorted gen 7 and i know all about it,however i just perfer the look of the gen 6!

other thing is i do about 15k miles a year so not sure if going older is the right thing to do :brickwall:

Edited by looney

Had both and the gen6 wins in all areas bar handling, the gen7 Mac suspension is much better than the Gen 6 Mac

The gen7 is noisy inside and riddled with rattles :(

Gen 6 doesn't suffer from rust which would really surprise people, but feel tanks and filler necks are a weak point for sure

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.