Intercooler on N/A engine

wilo

Theres a company in bradford or leeds called mr2 developments i bought a car from a guy who works for them and he mentioned they do a lot with beams engines as he was trying to buy one of mine.

Not sure what they do with the beams but it might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

Theres a company in bradford or leeds called mr2 developments i bought a car from a guy who works for them and he mentioned they do a lot with beams engines as he was trying to buy one of mine.

Not sure what they do with the beams but it might be worth looking into.

cheers Ash will check it out

anyone any ideas with the white smoke ? looking online just now and im getting results for head gasket on way out :blink:

Sure its white smoke?

If it smells like oil then it'll have a blue tinge to it, if its leaked onto the engine as you say then it'll be burning off, it will take a while to burn it all off though.

When I replaced the turbo on my old gt4 it still smoked and smelled oily for a good 100 miles or so until it had burnt it out of the exhaust system.

• Like 1

cheers guys and yeah its very faint almost wispy white/grey smoke ...only happens when I rev it past 3k and disappears immediately after revving has ceased

EDIT didn't get any smell today while revving it ...just the smoke

Edited by wilo

on their email to me they said it would improve torque and midrange .....are these are separate factors to bhp and do you think I will notice a difference in midrange power or acceleration?

so for a grand it would be running at roughly the same bhp as the blacktop duel vvti beams engine then :D

bhp is a calculation based on torque and rpm, there is a lot of good articles on the relationship, its worth taking the time to get your head around. When they say 10bhp yeah they mean peak, if you look at a dyno graph though you could pull a bhp figure for any rpm point, ecu tuning the beams is going to show bigger gains throughout the rpm range than it will at peak bhp, this is based on the others i've seen.

The quality is poor but here is a copy of the dyno printout from RST's mr2 beams, mods were intake and decat with 2.5 inch exhaust iirc, and a link g3 standalone ecu, and the maf replaced with a map sensor, although the maf i think was left in place to use its temperature sensor. 183bhp and 155ftlbs at the wheels, prior to the ecu being fitted, peak bhp at the wheels was approx 157bhp at 6500rpm.

dyno_zps06be2103.jpg

Personally whilst a dyno graph like the above is nice, I prefer to see a table of rpm increments with the bhp or torque value for those points, its easier to get your head round this way. So the above graph might look something like this approximatly :

RPM BHP

2500 61

3000 76

3500 78

4000 100

4500 130

5000 139

5500 153

6000 170

6500 177

in that example the peak was 183bhp at 6800rpm, but really thats just one figure, and not one you can solely base performance on, as in reality your accelerating through all the rpm points not just the peak one, so any increase in those figures above will translate into faster acceleration, peak bhp could remain the same but if you increased the torque, and therefore the bhp between 4000 and 6000rpm, but did not increase peak, then you will still be accelerating faster.

I dont know whether an emanage ultimate would give the same results, or the person mapping it, but there is quite a bit of performance to be extracted from the beams through ecu tuning, peak bhp is one thing but the gains in the midrange are much more significant. The example above has more torque at the wheels than the stock engine did at the flywheel through the midrange, thats going to be very noticable when driving the car as its like 20ftlb+ of torque above standard.

Edited by Zuban
  • Like 1

cheers Zuban you have helped me make up mind :thumbs: .

I will be getting it piggybacked now but will research which is the best unit for the job ...maybe the ultimate is not the best to extract gains for the beams :think: .

also just had the exhaust fixed ..turned out to be a manufacturing default on the stainless backbox and it had split the seam where the stab joins the box .

Also had them check over the car and oil and coolant look fine and they are pretty confidant the white/grey smoke is just oil burning off .

yup to be more exact though when dealing with ft.lb the formula is

bhp = (ft.lb x rpm) / 5252

and to work out the torque its

ft.lb = (bhp x 5252) / rpm

I think the emanage ultimate might be the best piggyback tbh, it has a reasonable resolution on the tables, 16x16 iirc? can advance ignition timing and can control the vvti, I have used one in the past before i went to the power-fc and they are nice bits of kit, i never had mine tuned though just fitted it up for a play with. I'm just not sure you will get the same results from any piggyback as you would standalone, thats not to say you wont though, the only other beams i know of that was mapped using an emanage ultimate did make very decent figures, but I cant make any comparison to the above as there was very little information on it as it was from cypris.

Edited by Zuban
  • Like 1

DEI in the US doing an inlet charge cooling system using CO2, but given you need to then cart around a bottle of CO2 in the car which then adds to the weight of the car so seems counterproductive.

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/cryo2-system-components

Edited by guynecologist

Ok you've lost me ..what the hell you to guys going on a bout :lol: .

sound good and the pic looks good but that's as far as iv got :blink:

DEI in the US doing an inlet charge cooling system using CO2, but given you need to then cart around a bottle of CO2 in the car which then adds to the weight of the car so seems counterproductive.

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/cryo2-system-components

tbh I don't think I would remember to keep replacing bottles all the time and would find it a nuisance ....would be more interested in a closed loop system like how air con works where you just need to recharge at lengthy intervals :)

individual throttle bodies. or ITB's are the best intake modification you can do to a normally aspirated engine. would love some for mine but they are very expensive for the full set up. but the noise is simply epic!

• Like 1

individual throttle bodies. or ITB's are the best intake modification you can do to a normally aspirated engine. would love some for mine but they are very expensive for the full set up. but the noise is simply epic!

how expensive is "very expensive"

and is there a lot more work to just bolting them :D

Well you would need a few things, adapter plate, a set of throttle bodies for your desired power out out range, lots of research to find the right manifold length from throttle plates to head to optimise power and response and the right size trumpets, a fuel system for them, then a stand alone management to run them. I'd say best part of £3k probably more. You could be running 250bhp and much better torque across the range especially with some cams in the mix too.

Get googling. There is plenty of info out there. Seems to be a lot about itb conversions on the Driftworks forums.

• Like 1

There is a guy in australia who made copies of the TRD ITB manifold, they were very good, they allowed the fitting of either silver or blacktop 4a-ge itb's, or any other ones using the same mounting holes, dont know if he's still doing them or has any left though. Its not a very cost effective way of getting power but they do sound great.

Well you would need a few things, adapter plate, a set of throttle bodies for your desired power out out range, lots of research to find the right manifold length from throttle plates to head to optimise power and response and the right size trumpets, a fuel system for them, then a stand alone management to run them. I'd say best part of £3k probably more. You could be running 250bhp and much better torque across the range especially with some cams in the mix too.

Get googling. There is plenty of info out there. Seems to be a lot about itb conversions on the Driftworks forums.

am I right in thinking a turbo conversion would cost about the same ? and wouldn't the turbo give between 250 and 300 bhp with decat .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.