Wide Wheels with more Power?

digs

Ok wheel experts....in general as general advice, supercharged 7s may be able to help here :)

Running 17" 7j wheels at the moment. Now, having a 3sgte engine put in at the moment, this is still in a front wheel drive. Wheel spin is going to be an issue, so is it worth better tyres and a wider wheel to help grip ? Should I be looking a more 8j, will this make any real difference or not enough to be worth bothering about ?

What do the 7th gen superchargers run to maintain grip ?

7.5 still ok for manouverability ? Reckon that's the biggest to go ? Running 215 on 7s at moment. If going slightly larger will make no grip difference will focus on the best tyres can get. Thanks btw.

Ah, orc came in while writing. Focus in on the tyres then.

I would be inclined to spend the money on grippier tyres in the size you have already.

Going to wider wheels means money for the new rims plus tyres and it'll probably make very little difference to the grip level for the amount of money spent.

My Evo runs 205's up front and it handles the power well (I know its AWD but still!)

Not right now but will be, next steps are coilovers, lsd and tyres. Lsd will improve things, just need to get some more cash together for it.

Assume all the superchargers also use lsds ?

You don't want to go too wide, it'll ruin the ride and cornering.

My faff is on 225 wide tyres on 7.5J rims and only because they're cheaper than 215.

Is that on gt4 rims?what profile tyres?

I ran 16x8's on my ss3 and it had an abundance of grip and handling was good, 225/45/16's. That was on track and a little road, I ran 225/45/16's on 7.5 inch tyres on road too but in terms of getting the sidewall sitting square the 8 inch rims do a better job, I have 225 wide tyres on 7 inch rims on my st205 and its not a great combo they feel too soft. Wider tyres will handle increased load better and as you have added a few kilo's over the front end and some extra power aswell then you can put more load and heat into the front tyres so the wider tyre will help imo, just match them.

Edited by Zuban

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.