mot fail or ok?

Ok so had this blistering under the sill near the back wheel...

Wud it pass an mot as my mate is doing it or wit? He is still strict but I'm not sure how bad rust can be before it has to be a fail.

P.s the patch is about the size of my palm. Pic will be added once the rain foooks off.

they will hit it with a hammer normally, and if hammer goes through then its fail.

Really? You seen them hit a sill with a hammer lately? You could clean it up yourself and paint it up. Only worry if there is a hole, that will need welding up.

It depends on the testers definition of excessive corrosion and how close it is to any part integral to the vehicle structure, it doesn't look that bad from the pictures but as above, you're probably best off getting it sorted now before it gets any worse

my fiesta was bady corroded on the sils, and after much patch work welding i got both sils replaced.

but i deo remember them testing it with a hammer and smacking it all around the car.

in hindsight the ones with the plastic kits on sils hide the rust and let it pass mot forever!!!

Very little 'opinion of the tester' in it.

Firstly there are 'prescribed areas' which are considered structual. These are defined in the testers manual. The entire sill is one of these areas.

They then use a special 'corrosion assesment tool' which is a bit like a ballpaine hammer head. If it goes through then it's a fail The only subjective bit is how much force they put behind it.

1e-mot-corrosion-assessment-tool-95-p%5B

p.s. I see it's also considered a fail if it isn't firm to finger or thumb pressure.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4x0c000001.htm

Edited by _Chris_

yea i never was happy then they hammer tested the car. proper peed me off. its just as bad when they stick that screwdriver thingy into you wishbone bushes which i think causes more damage then regular wear and tear would.

It's only a light tap with the hammer - and the hammer is very small - if the hammer does any damage - then it's rotten and needs fixing

Would you rather be in an accident and then find out your car is rotten when it completely crumples

• Like 1

Indeed, the proper tool is designed NOT to damage the paint when used correctly - otherwise there would definately be rust spots the following year.

They normally tap it along all the spots prone to rust and listen for filler, whether there's signs of rust or not.

before the Mot, my mechanic goes nuts on the car with a hammer and a screwdriver, much harder than any MOT tester ever will, at the end of the day, I take my kids out in the car and would rather have this.

the only rot he ever found was the 2 small (3" square) plates he repaired when I first Mot'd her 2 years ago!

Get it fixed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.