Chips Away

bloody good place to know mind and a great source of bargains in tools , weekly they have a change so keep your eye open for those bargains , best we ever had was a 50 quid gravity fed spraygun if we brought 30 quids worth of primer , we were not short of primer for a while thats for sure :D , they also do no end of sealy tools also with bargains to be had

just sayin

Going to get a quote tommorw afternoon. Bonnet will be a bit more than £150 i reckon as its carbon. Will need preping and sealing on top of the rest of it. That chip is 5p sized so wont be alot to do i reckon. With what i want done im also going to get a quote for a full respray to weigh up my options as theres a couple of imperfections i want to get rid of.

I know the guy and 2 of my friends have had perfect work done by him before so ive seen what he can do. Dubs suggested the other people and they want to see it. Not one has asked for a picture! Another reason to avoid the chips away guy here!!

Edited by mrGTFour

£150-175 is based on having 2 jobs done given placcy primer comes in at £56+ vat ( ouch ) but there wont be extra for paint as half a liter will cover both , so the total should be £300 or so

a whole car depends on the quality of the workmanship plus how bad the car was in the first instance , i recon yours is very clean and tidy so i think £1200 would cover it , thats a masking off job rather than a lights and panels off which is £2000

other thing id better mention , if thats a real carbon bonnet then the panel flatness may not be upto your expectation when its been sprayed , none metal panels tend to have undulations you wouldnt notice due to the finish but show quite badly once sprayed , thought id better mention it

I looked into a Chipsaway franchise,it was only the outlay for the franchise itself that put me off in the end,I spent a day at their HQ and tried out their paint system,also did a few days out on the road with a couple of local-ish guys to get a feel of whats involved.

To be fair,they don't tend to just give a franchise to any old monkey who fancies it.Its bloody hard work,doing a good job on someones drive is harder than you think.the guys i went with were very good but having said that im sure due to human nature there are some that arent quite as good.Silver is one of the worst smart repair colours to tackle,if its right in the middle of a panel,and its deep,its hard to get it looking 100% for sure.This guy does sound a bit vague though TBH.

These mobile paint corrections are all franchises, so their quality hugely depends on the franchisee. :shrug:

Exactly what I was going to say, get recommendations locally from people you know as I've seen some of these types of mobile body repair guys decline work and I've seen others work miracles

Edited by Relentless81

I looked into a Chipsaway franchise,it was only the outlay for the franchise itself that put me off in the end,I spent a day at their HQ and tried out their paint system,also did a few days out on the road with a couple of local-ish guys to get a feel of whats involved.

To be fair,they don't tend to just give a franchise to any old monkey who fancies it.Its bloody hard work,doing a good job on someones drive is harder than you think.the guys i went with were very good but having said that im sure due to human nature there are some that arent quite as good.Silver is one of the worst smart repair colours to tackle,if its right in the middle of a panel,and its deep,its hard to get it looking 100% for sure.This guy does sound a bit vague though TBH.

Yeah i have a small scuff that i wanted doing. Just on the very corrner of the back bumper. Hardly anything but i know its there. Hes not interested in doing anything. Ill bite the bullet and get it all done at once at the body shop

Like Izzz was saying the problem with silvers is the metallic, from a couple of angles it looks fine and then from one side it can look slightly mismatched, especially if you're laying new paint to blend in with older. Truth be told the money is in newer car repairs; 10 years and under .Chipsaway don't tend to do bonnets for example, or roof panels its all about localised repairs, corner scuffs, door scrapes that kind of thing. You want to be doing a few repairs a day to make a decent living so you have to be careful about what jobs you take on.i bet he thought hmmm 20 year old car in met silver. ..nah . However if you were local enough I would have come to at least look at the car just to see if I could.Even if you can't go through with the job there are ways of telling the customer that leaves them happy enough with your service still, and you might even get a recommendation as a knock-on if you come across right. That's what that game is all about

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.