Chips Away

Im so p@@53d off tonight. I was in my garage where my GT4 lives and i knocked into a shelf unit knocking a tin of brake cleaner off. Falls off the shelf straight on to the rear quater, denting it and chipping the paint down to the primer.

Any one used Chips away, thinking of getting them out on this one

I have used them twice, first time was on a red mettalic Mazda with a full length key scratch, superb job. Second time on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and was not impressed, he had only been in the game a few weeks. So the key is to find out how much experience they have when they come to give you a quote.

First impressions of them arnt great. He called this afternoon and wanted me to text pictures over to him insted of looking at it. I said to him its best to come and see it as id like a couple of bits done. Anyway. Alot of text messages to him and he said it needs to be done at a body shop. Now correct me if im wrong with a name like chips away i would of thought they could fix a chip?

Also worth keeping in mind that chips away is just a franchise so it's entirely dependent on the individual running that outfit. One could be great and another crap. Best to go on recommendation for bodywork repairs. My gf recently had her drivers side door bent when someone reversed into it. We got it repaired and resprayed at a local bodyshop that friends of ours have used and they did a brilliant job.

This is the picture i sent him and he reckons it cant be done. This chips away guy cant make my chip go away.

Am i very mistaken or is that a chip?!...

93D20C33-0065-4256-9FBD-95D4842ED65E.jpg

Cheers best give this mob ago. The other guy clearly isnt interested

• Like 1

Do you have any contact with a Toyota dealer? My local dealer has a dent repair man and a smart repair man for chips on call - mainly for the secondhand side of the business - but they have done various bits of work for me on the Celica and other cars, and if the dealer is using them, you've got a reasonable chance they'll do a good job.

Do you have any contact with a Toyota dealer? My local dealer has a dent repair man and a smart repair man for chips on call - mainly for the secondhand side of the business - but they have done various bits of work for me on the Celica and other cars, and if the dealer is using them, you've got a reasonable chance they'll do a good job.

My mate does smart repairs but as described above, he doesn't advertise or do it at peoples homes he gets called by the car dealerships. Even brand new cars come off the lorry with a few dents. He has to be good otherwise they won't call him again... situation described above is a good shout

They attempted a repair on a scratch on our mazda 6, first attempt was the wrong blue, second attempt reacted badly, ended up having to take it to a professional body shop for two doors and rear quarter respray. IMO avoid.

What im going to do is get it booked in at a body shop to get the carbon fibre bonnet sprayed in silver and get a couple of chips done at the same time. Still annoyed at myself!

Edited by mrGTFour

Thats not a bad shout. Wouldn't of thought of that. I'll ask Tommorw, this chip away guy is one to avoid. Ran for the hills when i said it was silver!

ah

ok thats going to need cutting back , filling , rubbing down , 2 types of primer applied , a base under laquar

thats 7 applications and that becomes hard work outdoors making anywhere near a good finish , main issue is though is not a base colour , it requires a colour under laquar and its also metallic

silver is almost always metallic and the issue is it has a colour that fades plus the sparkle that is creates by little bits of flake , the flake is a certain size , mess it up and it looks wrong , so say you do get a car thats not faded and you get the correct size flake theres still an issue with depth , the flake will always rise to the surface of the paint so if you apply it too heavy it goes dark ,,,,, so you then need to rub the lot down and start again which is a massive ballache was once again theres bloody flake in it ,,,,, so the base is good and you apply the top ( laquar ) go too thick and it yellows making the silver the wrong colour once more , you can however cut it back one dried but thats not going to be dried the same day thats for sure so its a multi day job ,,, also theres the issue of blending the lot in as its not easy to feather the new to the old over laquar etc etc

welcome to the world of paint

id stick it into a garage , it should cost 150 or so for the dink and a further 150 or so for the bonnet ( will need etching primer so could be another 25 on top )

There's a place near me that will mix a rattle can of paint to the colour of your car - inclusive of however many years of fade it has suffered. Very handy for minor repairs.

jawel paints , costs about £11

never seen a perfect job done this way

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.