bad move?

hi peeps,at the moment i have a storm blue gt,56 plate only done 23k miles,had it about 3 months now,however as im getting older i cant help looking at st205s and thinking its kinda now or never,ive always liked them,i actually owned one years ago but i was alot younger then and couldnt really afford to run it,times have changed slighty and im older now.

i need a daily driver,but ive heard people use there gt4s as dailys with no hassles,im just wondering if it would be a bit of a crazy move to sell a newish car with low miles for a gt4,cant help thinking it would be a risky move and ill doubt ill ever find another gen 7 gt thats as good as what i got now.

i know there both two diffrent cars,one is a cruiser and one is a full on rally beast,rally beast seems more apealing lol but as said i cant help thinking it could be either a good move or a bad one.

i know at the end of the day its my choice but opinions are always helpful :)

Mines been sweet as! Maybe you should take one for a long test drive and ask your self could you drive this as a daily? Paddle clutch (if fitted) heavyer in taffic, exhaust noise etc etc

You will have alot of fun in it going from your current Celica to a GT-four, i'll put money on that!

I'd say just go with your gut, gt4s are defo rally beast but can quite easily be quite a comfortable and relaxing car..... Right up to the moment the turbo spools up lol

I'm a gen 7 man personally but I do hugely see the appeal of a gt4 and it is the only celica I would have over my gt.

I think it would do no harm in going to test drive one (if you haven't driven one already) and see how you feel.

If the engine is fairly standard and hasn't been messed with too much, it will give you no problems. Mine is on 191k miles.

Though 20-25mpg isn't ideal for a daily and around London, I find you can't really properly stretch it's legs.

Been there mate, did it, came back as running as a daily was a wallet killer.Awesome machines if you have deep enough pockets but unfortunately i didnt. I dont regret it for a second though.

How many miles do you do for work? If its a fair amount then it maybe worth getting a GT4 and a little runaround to use for work (obviously if your in a position to do that)

Theres always a risk of going to another car but if it really is now or never then, well, how much of a gambler are you?!

my tuppence for what it's worth, if you have a clean low mileage 190, you will at some point regret selling it, Agreed that the thought of having a 4wd monster will tickle in all the right places. think with head rather than heart.

Unless that is you have lots of free cash.......

Ideal situation is keep the 7 and buy a GT4.

look at it this way, in 5 years time which will have served you better?

I do about 12-15k a year miles wise.

I agree with the above that keeping the low mileage 190 is the sensible option

But can't help thinking life is to short and you should just do these things sometimes,however Easyer said than done I agree :)

I do about 12-15k a year miles wise.

As a fuel cost comparison, 15k p/a will cost you in fuel (assuming a cost of ~1.30 a litre) alone:

35mpg: 2507.14

30mpg: 2925.00

25mpg: 3510.00

20mpg: 4387.50

15mpg: 5850.00

Driving around London, I get about 22mpg.

Hats off to Darryl, when they nail his lid down he won't be complaining "what if?" TSport , 205, alpha and TSport plus se7ens cams all in 12 months??!!??

Have hummed and hahed over the same question. For me right now I am comfy in my car and will be happy with some minor tinkering for a year or two, then I will review and a 205 will be on the list of maybe's. I'd be more likely to have one down here than in London though!

No brainer, keep the gen 7 for work and if you have spare cash and can afford to have the GT4 as a plaything then do it BUT if it going wrong anytime is going to cause you worry to be listening for any little thing when you are driving it then dont do it.

• Like 1

this is how id see it playing out

you sell the 7

you buy a gt4 - run it for 6 months and think fook this is expensive - fuel and potentially repairs

you then sell the gt4 and buy a diesel as it swings you the other way

couple of years later you try to buy another 7 - but cant find one as good as the one you have

the g7 for me is a very hard car to replace as a daily

good MPG

super reliable

good looking

comfortable

can take 4 people when desperate

very practical - can fit most things in the car with back seats down

fwd - so you dont get totally stuck in the snow

not a smelly diesel

reasonably quick

Id have changed it years ago, if there was anything that ticked all these boxes - civic type r comes close but mrs says its ugly

• Like 2

this is how id see it playing out

you sell the 7

you buy a gt4 - run it for 6 months and think fook this is expensive - fuel and potentially repairs

you then sell the gt4 and buy a diesel as it swings you the other way

couple of years later you try to buy another 7 - but cant find one as good as the one you have

Seems familiar :sofa:

• Like 1

Are you in a position to have both the 7 as a daily and a GT4 as a fun car?

If so then that's the best way to do it. I just bought an MR2 roadster because I've always wanted a soft top and like you, I think life is too short not to have the things you really want if you're in a position to do so. It just wouldn't work for me as a daily drive so I decided to keep my 7 as well. The main benefit is having the choice of 2 very different cars to drive whenever I want which is great. Also the mileage on my 7 won't increase as much because I'll be using the MR2 quite a bit in the summer. As the MR2 is a bit more economical it might even save me a few quid in petrol over the year as well.

So if you could run both you would probably be saving a grand a year in fuel based on dubs figures. That could pay for your insurance and tax so in theory it shouldn't be much more expensive. And when you go out in the morning you get to decide which car to take!

I'm working on my partner to swap her crappy Hyundai for a 'rolla' SR diesel so we have a nice little fleet!!

Edited by Chris H72

I think Johnyboy hit the nail on the head perfectly, however.
You have a itch that needs to be scratched imo, and I don't believe in what if's, don't do the typical bloke thing and over analyse it just go out and pick a good one and buy it.

If you can then keep the gen 7 and have the best of both worlds, or at least until you are happy with your decision.

I'm not able to run two cars I'm afraid :( that would be the perfect garage but I just couldn't afford it

So it's one or the other really,the more I think about it I know money wise it makes sense to keep the gen 7,I just wish it had a bit more poke

I'm not able to run two cars I'm afraid :( that would be the perfect garage but I just couldn't afford it

So it's one or the other really,the more I think about it I know money wise it makes sense to keep the gen 7,I just wish it had a bit more poke

A frequent refrain (and yes the silly sods should have made it a true 2 litre 200 bhp job. Bah!) but where are you going to find better looks, reliability, economy and performance for the money?

Exactly. You have the right car for your budget. Until we win the lottery we must cut our cloth accordingly. Boring but true!

A couple of extra grand would put you in say a 350z . I know Kev likes them but whilst the power is nice the looks and practicality and weight of the things puts me off. :shrug:

I have to disagree with some of the above. A GT4 doesn't really have significant repair bills as a matter of course. Things can be more expensive, yes, and many parts are more expensive than a 7 but I don't think that's insurmountable.

The most of the repairing I see in the GT4 section comes from owners faffing about with the engine and chasing power.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.