Toyota World Cardiff - Knowledge of their staff.

I forgot to tell you guys this.

I walked into Toyota World Cardiff, asking for flange bolts which we all know as lift bolts. This is how the conversation went.

Him: "Hi can I help?"

Me: "Yeah umm, just came in to order some flange bolts for a Toyota Celica T-Sport?"

Him: "Celica T-Sport. Hmm, that's the one with the engine in the back, isn't it?"

Me: "No. It's in the front." *I point to my car outside*

Him: "Oh?" *He stares at my car* "But it's rear wheel drive, isn't it?"

Me: "Last time I checked it wasn't, no."

Him: *"Oh okay. I'll be one second. Flange bolts you said?"

Me: "Yeah or 'lift' bolts, for the VVTL-i engine."

Him: "...lift?"

Me: "They're bolts for the engine internals. They operate the lift feature on the T-Sport Celica and Corolla."

Him: *blank stare*

Me: "Look shall I just give you a part number?"

Him: "Yes please that would be great."

...I have no words.

• Like 1

Picked up GT front lip from Paignton Toyota Saturday. Endeavoured to have chat with lad on parts counter. He knew about TSports in general as his buddy had a Corolla TSport or something. Hadn't a clue about Celicas though. telling comment was "Don't see many Celicas in here now they are more than a couple of years old."

Would hazzard a guess that's due to labour costs.................................

:hysterical:

I guess that's what you get with retail jobs in this country, no sense of longevity and a high staff turnover means that bot parties deem actual understanding, training and knowledge surplus to requirements :doh:

10 years ago I worked on a petrol forecourt / MG Rover parts and service counter. As part time staff I only had knowledge because of my keen interest in cars. most of the staff, even the supervisor didn't know the difference between an engine and a gear box

I've had similar experiences. First I was told the 140 and 190/TS/GT had the same engine and the only difference was ECU tuning and body styling. :unsure:

When I told them I had a TRD Sports-M they told me such thing doesn't exist, then I pointed outside and they soon learnt a bit.

Now try talking to them about Gen 6's....and heaven forbid anything older than that :rolleyes:

Mines a 1998 and I rang Mr T the other day simply to ask what the correct grade oil was for the car. The response was that they don't have that information on their system for a car of that age!!!!!

• Like 1

I have the complete opposite at my local Mr.T's when I occasionally pop in. Their main thing is that their prices are ridiculously high for an old car.(£609.00 for a pair of top mounts for a Gen 6). Though if you have a JDM model they are stuffed. If it's not on their computer system (which doesn't have a vast selection on it) then they can't really help..

They actually suggested getting in touch with the Celica Club to get parts or looking on the internet as the knowledge base is far greater then theirs.

Sounds about right :D .

I can understand their issue with older cars. We are like that at work. Especially on things like the Esprit & Mk.1 Elise. There are so few people who were trained on them that are still at work that the knowledge just isn't there.

I have had problems with Toyota world cardiff finding bulbs for the climate panel. I was told they can't be replaced and i need a new climate panel, but FRF swansea had them in stock?

As far as dealer techs go it's hit and miss, I've been with volvo since 2004, I've done all my training with them since my apprenticeship and now I'm doing my masters, the training always been handed to me if I want it. I could say no and just get on spinning filters all day like some people I work with treating it as 'just a job'. But I've been interested in cars since forever so I want to know more, I'll often spend an evening when the mrs is in work reading the product news because I find it interesting and makes my life easier in work.

It really annoys me reading forums (not just on here on a few others) that the dealers get slated time and time again.

But back on topic I do find FRF swansea parts much for helpful, but it's a bit far to go just for parts for you G

• Like 1

I have had problems with Toyota world cardiff finding bulbs for the climate panel. I was told they can't be replaced and i need a new climate panel, but FRF swansea had them in stock?

As far as dealer techs go it's hit and miss, I've been with volvo since 2004, I've done all my training with them since my apprenticeship and now I'm doing my masters, the training always been handed to me if I want it. I could say no and just get on spinning filters all day like some people I work with treating it as 'just a job'. But I've been interested in cars since forever so I want to know more, I'll often spend an evening when the mrs is in work reading the product news because I find it interesting and makes my life easier in work.

It really annoys me reading forums (not just on here on a few others) that the dealers get slated time and time again.

But back on topic I do find FRF swansea parts much for helpful, but it's a bit far to go just for parts for you G

I actually live in the Rhondda, by the Bwlch and Rhigos mountains - I work in Penarth, but most people on here know Cardiff rather than Penarth or Rhondda. So Swansea and Cardiff are identical in terms of time :)

I asked my local mr t for a price for a Carlos Sainz bumper for my gen 5 , the parts guy had never heard of Carlos Sainz

For my next trick I am going into a Ferrari dealership to see if they know anyone called Michael Schumacher :)

• Like 2

I actually live in the Rhondda, by the Bwlch and Rhigos mountains - I work in Penarth, but most people on here know Cardiff rather than Penarth or Rhondda. So Swansea and Cardiff are identical in terms of time :)

I'd give FRF a go next time, just off the m4 J44/45 really depending on which way you want to go.

I was up rhigos last saterday on the bike. Next time in heading that far I'll keep an eye out!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.