Parking brake issues

cavegod

Well just replaced handbrake shoes with much effort! Had to hammer disc back on. Is this normal never done a toyota parking brake before. I took it up and down road a few times and apart from vlutch and shoe byrning smells it seems to be freeing up. They were dam tight to get off too, adjusters were both fully in!

Either cable racked up too high as somebody thinks that's how to adjust if, the shoes and auxiliaries could be fit wrongly or the parts are wrong.

End of the day the disc should slide on with ease when the adjuster is fully off, hammer job is telling you there is something amiss.

Everything fitted correctly the cables are slack. Im thinking the linings are to thick as googling the problem brings back numerous hits of the same problem. I dont fancy destroying the shoes raking the discs off again so gonna have to wear them down wirh a few short drives. On the plys side the handbrake works perfectly!

Apec on mine, its freeing off now i got into third at least! Its strange how the clutch feels like its slipping yet if i put gandbrake on and into 4th or 5th it stalls no matter how much rev i give it so cant be that bad

• 3 weeks later...

I've just replaced the APEC shoes that were on mine for Toyota ones. The APEC ones never felt right - they would make a loud clunk if operated when the car was in motion, were generally weak and prone to having the hold down pins slip out of place if moving off/reversing with the handbrake on.

Comparing them to the £60 genuine Toyota ones, I couldn't see a huge difference in the dimensions of the metal part, but the friction material was definitely different, thicker yet slightly less wide.

I've just replaced the APEC shoes that were on mine for Toyota ones. The APEC ones never felt right - they would make a loud clunk if operated when the car was in motion, were generally weak and prone to having the hold down pins slip out of place if moving off/reversing with the handbrake on.

Comparing them to the £60 genuine Toyota ones, I couldn't see a huge difference in the dimensions of the metal part, but the friction material was definitely different, thicker yet slightly less wide.

Hmm, that's interesting. Mine do the same, the 'clunk' only comes from the NS shoes. I have taken them apart to check countless times now, but I cannot see where or why they should make the 'clunk' noise.

I had the clunking on my GT a while back and I found was when the inner pads were catching ever so slightly and would move along with the outer disk and then jump back into place when they stopped catching. To be honest I found this happened more if I was reversing but that was because it was the left hand inner pad which was catching and thus was the one which was being moved ever so slightly and then jumping back.

The entire system needs to be setup near perfectly to have them not catch and work correctly (or as well as they possible can). I found the major issue which was making mine catch was that the handbrake cable was slightly stuck and was causing the inner pad to stay locked in place. Once I removed that and cleaned it all up and then rebuilt the entire handbrake (for the 500th time since I've own the car) the clunking stopped.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.